Advice needed

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
Andy Keys

Re: Advice needed

Post by Andy Keys »

Vlad_77 wrote:I just played and you know how every once in awhile, it feels like it's not you playing anymore but rather, how do I explain it, you are just part of the universe that is creating itself and evolving... :) God I LOVE music!!!
AMen!

Sorry to hear you got screwed, Vlad. I hope you sort it.
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

Thanks Andy! There's another band that wants me to play for them and they said "don't get mad, get even." :) I'm also in a Pink Floyd tribute band, so, it will all get sorted. Still, being of Sicilian-Irish extraction I can't but want a little bit of vengeance. ;)

Cheers Andy and as always, your work here at Roland Clan is nothing short of phenomenal. You got me through my growing pains with the X and I will always appreciate that.
johnxyz

Post by johnxyz »

IgorCristo wrote:I wouldn't advise you to buy the V. It's a great synth, but for the things you want, it doesn't really shine. From what I hear, you want a synthesizer to work with standard synthesis, and that's the V's weakness. It's raw analog oscillators are mediocre and won't make you happy.

Maybe that's not what every V user wants to hear, but it's the true. Based on your needs, I think that a Virus TI would be better. Maybe a Virus B Keyboard for the price range you're looking for. You'll be very happy to choose it.

The V is a great synth for modern/crazy sounds, but not for simulating analog gear.

Cheers!

I bought a V Synth V2 to replace my JX-8P live - but of course it wasn't a good move. It confused the hell out of me to start with, and I found its filters unable to copy the JX for classic analogue sounds.

It only lasted 1 gig - I replaced it with a JP-8000.

My V synth sits unused for over a year. Its up for sale in the Sales forum...
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

johnxyz wrote:
IgorCristo wrote:I wouldn't advise you to buy the V. It's a great synth, but for the things you want, it doesn't really shine. From what I hear, you want a synthesizer to work with standard synthesis, and that's the V's weakness. It's raw analog oscillators are mediocre and won't make you happy.

Maybe that's not what every V user wants to hear, but it's the true. Based on your needs, I think that a Virus TI would be better. Maybe a Virus B Keyboard for the price range you're looking for. You'll be very happy to choose it.

The V is a great synth for modern/crazy sounds, but not for simulating analog gear.

Cheers!

I bought a V Synth V2 to replace my JX-8P live - but of course it wasn't a good move. It confused the hell out of me to start with, and I found its filters unable to copy the JX for classic analogue sounds.

It only lasted 1 gig - I replaced it with a JP-8000.

My V synth sits unused for over a year. Its up for sale in the Sales forum...
I couldn't disagree more with IgorCristo, The V shines and it's a one of a kind, not just another VA... it's being completely misunderstood, but well...
Howcome Jordan Rudess has two XTs on his live gear??
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Ah well one man's garden is another's dung heap!

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with these blokes as they had a certain sound or sounds that they were after that possibly just wasn't the V's strong suit. I don't think they were dissing the V as much as just stating that those other synth's mentioned may have had more "realistic" VA sections or whatever.

But for us who have found the magic mushroom with that VA section and COSM filters coupled with "Elastic Audio", the mighty V more than makes up for any shortcomings. For as we well know, the V's VA section is anything but realistic...it is otherwordly!
ASP2_1.jpg
ASP2_1.jpg (26.98 KiB) Viewed 567 times
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

SoundworldA.D. wrote:Ah well one man's garden is another's dung heap!

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with these blokes as they had a certain sound or sounds that they were after that possibly just wasn't the V's strong suit. I don't think they were dissing the V as much as just stating that those other synth's mentioned may have had more "realistic" VA sections or whatever.

But for us who have found the magic mushroom with that VA section and COSM filters coupled with "Elastic Audio", the mighty V more than makes up for any shortcomings. For as we well know, the V's VA section is anything but realistic...it is otherwordly!
ASP2_1.jpg

Agree, I overreacted a bit... ;-)
johnxyz

Post by johnxyz »

Yes, I'm not saying its a bad synth - very good for certain uses… sound creation etc - just not good for copying classic sounds en masse..
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

johnxyz wrote:Yes, I'm not saying its a bad synth - very good for certain uses… sound creation etc - just not good for copying classic sounds en masse..
It depends upon one's needs and wants. For covering analog emulations, I am well covered with Kronos, PC3, RADIAS, and Jupiter 80. Motif ES, Fantom X8, and XV-88 cover the bread and butter stuff. So, V-Synth has filled a gap for me as it can create insane soundscapes. That said, if you check YouTube, there is a guy doing an analog project for V-Synth and the demo - even on YouTube which is compressed - is stunning.

Happy New Year,
Vlad