What keyboard do you use with XT?

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
Iceman777

What keyboard do you use with XT?

Post by Iceman777 »

Hello! :)

I am sure that this question has been asked before, but still I would like to ask you, the fellow members, about the MIDI controllers or keyboards that you are using with your XT rack models. Since I am currently using it with my Nord Lead 2X, I am thinking of what would be the other possible options in order to have 2 separate keys at hand for even greater sound palette.

I know that Roland produces two MIDI keyboards known as Roland A-49 and Roland A-88. The latter is supposed to have piano mechanics to it with the great feel. It also has the D-Beam controller to it which I always wanted to try, but the price for the A-88 is almost 1000$ which is way too much for a MIDI controller even though it is 88 keys. Now the 49 keys version costs much less (not even to compare) and while it has synthesizer keys to it, there is no aftertouch and I am not sure what the feel is.

I am wondering if the D-Beam feature is really useful or a something that you play with for 3-5 times and then forget about it? I am also wondering if there are any options to get D-Beam for not so big price? :)

Any other thoughts, experiences, suggestions are, of course, welcome!

With the best wishes and care,

Denis
PauloF

Re: What keyboard do you use with XT?

Post by PauloF »

Iceman777 wrote:Hello! :)

I am sure that this question has been asked before, but still I would like to ask you, the fellow members, about the MIDI controllers or keyboards that you are using with your XT rack models. Since I am currently using it with my Nord Lead 2X, I am thinking of what would be the other possible options in order to have 2 separate keys at hand for even greater sound palette.

I know that Roland produces two MIDI keyboards known as Roland A-49 and Roland A-88. The latter is supposed to have piano mechanics to it with the great feel. It also has the D-Beam controller to it which I always wanted to try, but the price for the A-88 is almost 1000$ which is way too much for a MIDI controller even though it is 88 keys. Now the 49 keys version costs much less (not even to compare) and while it has synthesizer keys to it, there is no aftertouch and I am not sure what the feel is.

I am wondering if the D-Beam feature is really useful or a something that you play with for 3-5 times and then forget about it? I am also wondering if there are any options to get D-Beam for not so big price? :)

Any other thoughts, experiences, suggestions are, of course, welcome!

With the best wishes and care,

Denis
I Denis,
Actually that question was answered here yes :-)

My opinion is still that an old PCR or the newer and still available A-500/800 PRO are much better choices if you don't require a 88key keyboard.

They both have dual channel ( 2 MIDI channels on a split or layer modes), aftertouch, MIDI merge and a lot of sliders and knobs.

I have a PCR-500 and an A-800 Pro and love their synth action specially on fast runs.

Take care
Paulo
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

@Iceman
Yeah your right..
having 2 keyb controllers is always better for sound pallet access
on the Dbeam..
It has its uses especially for quickly controlling CCs and fx very quickly without having to do similar with knobs or sliders which reduces ware and tare because we are using light instead of physical controllers.
Iceman777

Post by Iceman777 »

Thank you for the replies, guys! :) It's always a pleasure to be here as I am getting so much help and advice, it makes me feel better about the world around us! ;)

@PauloF, thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinion. I also believe that the older keyboards are much better than what is currently produced. Sadly, it is the case with most things these days as the quality control and requirements both decrease. I shall take a look at the A800/A500 series of keyboards and will hope that these will still be available over here in Ukraine. On the other hand, I am not sure if I need all 88 keys as I'm not the professional piano player, but still I always loved the feel of piano keys as a child. Speaking of the 88 key versions, I would not be sure where to begin as I am not sure what are good 88-key instruments. As I am currently using Nord Lead 2X for all the keyboard duties, I am wondering if I really need a MIDI keyboard or if my current gear is enough. :-) NL2X does not have aftertouch, though...

PCR-500 and A800 Pro both sound really good and I like it that you prefer the great synth action! :) Thanks again for your thoughts and opinion!

@Quinnx, thank you! You just confirmed my thoughts - having two keyboard controllers would not only get things somewhat simplified, but will also give greater sound palette. The thing is that I would like to use V-Synth along with my Nord Lead 2X. I am belonging to the ones who prefer to play live even in the studio and I am still not very comfortable with entering MIDI notes in a sequencer and writing it by hand and commands, if you know what I mean.

Thank you for your thoughts on D-Beam. Sounds really interesting, but I wonder if it is possible to get it anywhere else other than GT and Gaia? :-)

Any other thoughts and opinions are, of course, most welcome!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Iceman777 wrote:Thank you for the replies, guys! :) It's always a pleasure to be here as I am getting so much help and advice, it makes me feel better about the world around us! ;)

@PauloF, thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinion. I also believe that the older keyboards are much better than what is currently produced. Sadly, it is the case with most things these days as the quality control and requirements both decrease. I shall take a look at the A800/A500 series of keyboards and will hope that these will still be available over here in Ukraine. On the other hand, I am not sure if I need all 88 keys as I'm not the professional piano player, but still I always loved the feel of piano keys as a child. Speaking of the 88 key versions, I would not be sure where to begin as I am not sure what are good 88-key instruments. As I am currently using Nord Lead 2X for all the keyboard duties, I am wondering if I really need a MIDI keyboard or if my current gear is enough. :-) NL2X does not have aftertouch, though...

PCR-500 and A800 Pro both sound really good and I like it that you prefer the great synth action! :) Thanks again for your thoughts and opinion!

@Quinnx, thank you! You just confirmed my thoughts - having two keyboard controllers would not only get things somewhat simplified, but will also give greater sound palette. The thing is that I would like to use V-Synth along with my Nord Lead 2X. I am belonging to the ones who prefer to play live even in the studio and I am still not very comfortable with entering MIDI notes in a sequencer and writing it by hand and commands, if you know what I mean.

Thank you for your thoughts on D-Beam. Sounds really interesting, but I wonder if it is possible to get it anywhere else other than GT and Gaia? :-)

Any other thoughts and opinions are, of course, most welcome!
Hi Denis,
Regarding the D-Beam, Quinnx is absolutely right. It is very useful to do some kind of controls fast, not very easily done using knobs or sliders.
Other Roland gear having D-Beam apart Gaia and GT:
- A-49 and A-88 Controllers (of course)
- All juno line: "old" Juno G and Juno D, newer Juno Di and Juno Gi
- Very Old RS-50 and RS-70 (similar to Juno D, but with Fantom look). I just sold my RS-70 few Months ago and I miss the D-Beam...
- V-Combo line (VR-09 for example)
- Old V-Synth
- All Fantom line
- The old Prelude and E-09 arrangers
- The old GW-7 and GW-8 series arrangers
- And a few more boards like VK-8M, BK-7m (All BK-x Line of arrangers)
- and a few more like the Samplers

I think that in your case the A-800 (or 500) Pro would be a major asset.
You can use it like this:
Nord lead 2X MIDI OUT -------> A-800 PRO MIDI IN
A-800 PRO MIDI OUT ---------> V-Synth XT MIDI IN
A-800 PRO Merge Switch= ON
A-800 PRO MIDI Clock= ON

This way you can:
- use The Nord to Play it's own sounds and one of the Parts (MIDI channel X on the V-Synth XT)
- use The A-PRO to Play two more V-Synth XT's Parts (MIDI channels 1 and 2 for example)
- use The A-PRO as the MASTER MIDI Clock source (The A-PRO's VALUE DIAL Rotary Encoder is very precise regarding this as it is Endless and Click action, so one click= 1 BPM, so very easy to control the TEMPO)

Just my opinion :-)
Cheers,
Paulo
Iceman777

Post by Iceman777 »

Thank you for your message! It seems that both A-800 Pro and A-500 are not available here in Ukraine (PCR is only available in used market). I have been waiting for them to appear, but they told me that these won't be available and they won't order them. I'm a little bit lost as to what to do now. They propose me to get Roland A88, but the price is too high for me and it does not have aftertouch which I would like to be present. I am wondering what other good keyboard would be an option? I am wondering if anything from Studiologic is good with Fatar mechanics, but some people claim it is always a "hit or miss" situation with them. Maybe not 88 keys, but still something that would be a good master keyboard... If I could and it wasn't so expensive, I would get Korg SV1...
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Iceman777 wrote:Thank you for your message! It seems that both A-800 Pro and A-500 are not available here in Ukraine (PCR is only available in used market). I have been waiting for them to appear, but they told me that these won't be available and they won't order them. I'm a little bit lost as to what to do now. They propose me to get Roland A88, but the price is too high for me and it does not have aftertouch which I would like to be present. I am wondering what other good keyboard would be an option? I am wondering if anything from Studiologic is good with Fatar mechanics, but some people claim it is always a "hit or miss" situation with them. Maybe not 88 keys, but still something that would be a good master keyboard... If I could and it wasn't so expensive, I would get Korg SV1...
Hi Denis,
If Aftertouch is a MUST HAVE for you (like for me), I can suggest other brands/Models, but all more expensive than the A-PRO 800 (61 Keys):

- Novation impulse 61
- Akai MPK 61 ( my favorite...)
- Nektar Technology Panorama P6 USB
- M-Audio Axiom 61 (Advanced)

I hope you find a suitable one in UKR

Take care
Paulo