Please help with my V-Synth XT!!!

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
MoeGreen

Please help with my V-Synth XT!!!

Post by MoeGreen »

Hey guys,

i have just bought a v synth xt in mint condition, but there are two things i am a little bit worried about. The first thing is about the cosm effects. When i choose the overdrive/distortion effect, the volume of the sound i´ve just created is significantly lower than without the effect. This is also the case when choosing the amp simulator. Is that normal?

And my second question has to do with the mic input. I´m using a dynamic mic and i have to turn up the gain almost to max. to get a usable signal. When turned up that way, i always have to be careful not to clip the signal. Is that normal as well?

Please help me guys, i´m a little bit frustrated right now.

Thanks a lot!!
PauloF

Re: Please help with my V-Synth XT!!!

Post by PauloF »

MoeGreen wrote:Hey guys,

i have just bought a v synth xt in mint condition, but there are two things i am a little bit worried about. The first thing is about the cosm effects. When i choose the overdrive/distortion effect, the volume of the sound i´ve just created is significantly lower than without the effect. This is also the case when choosing the amp simulator. Is that normal?

And my second question has to do with the mic input. I´m using a dynamic mic and i have to turn up the gain almost to max. to get a usable signal. When turned up that way, i always have to be careful not to clip the signal. Is that normal as well?

Please help me guys, i´m a little bit frustrated right now.

Thanks a lot!!
Welcome to the CLAN MoeGreen!!

Regarding the COSM:
You need to supply a little more info like:
- which type of sound are you applying the COSM filter to.
- Any default Patch or created by you?
- It happens to all the Patches in the project, or just some/specific ones?
- Can you take a "photo" of your Patch settings so I can have a more in depth view?

Regarding the MIC:
- What is the Front Panel MIC switch setting to? Hi-Z or Normal?
-What settings are you using on the MIC SETTINGS Tab ?
MoeGreen

Post by MoeGreen »

Hey Paulo,

thanks for the reply. I´m sitting in front of the v synth right now. Concerning the cosm effects, it happens to any patches, created ones and default patches. When i choose the amp simulator it is very dramatic with the amp type BG Lead. The sound is much lower in volume than without the effect. Same with the Overdrive/Distortion effect. I just checked my mixer. I applied the overdrive effect to the Trippin ep default patch and got about 0db on the meter of the mixer. With the effect enabled i get about -12db.

Concerning the Mic input, my setting is to normal, not hi-z. What do you mean with mic settings tab? The options of the vocoder itself?

Thanks, Max
robotunes

Post by robotunes »

MoeGreen wrote:When i choose the overdrive/distortion effect, the volume of the sound i´ve just created is significantly lower than without the effect. This is also the case when choosing the amp simulator. Is that normal?

I´m using a dynamic mic and i have to turn up the gain almost to max. to get a usable signal. When turned up that way, i always have to be careful not to clip the signal. Is that normal as well?
normal, i think. just tried these and got the same results on my gt.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

MoeGreen wrote:Hey Paulo,

thanks for the reply. I´m sitting in front of the v synth right now. Concerning the cosm effects, it happens to any patches, created ones and default patches. When i choose the amp simulator it is very dramatic with the amp type BG Lead. The sound is much lower in volume than without the effect. Same with the Overdrive/Distortion effect. I just checked my mixer. I applied the overdrive effect to the Trippin ep default patch and got about 0db on the meter of the mixer. With the effect enabled i get about -12db.

Concerning the Mic input, my setting is to normal, not hi-z. What do you mean with mic settings tab? The options of the vocoder itself?

Thanks, Max
Hi Max,
Now that I tried the patch you mention, I see what you mean.
Without touching any other parameters there is a big decrease in overall volume. But you have to agree that this is a heavy modulated patch already, and when you apply some of the COSM effects like the Amp Simulator, it gets a bit worse, but if you decrease the LFO modulation a bit, it gets better.

By MIC settings TAB I mean on the Vocoder itself, like the Compressor, Limiter etc
MoeGreen

Post by MoeGreen »

Yes you're right. Same thing with the waveshaper effect. All effects in the upper row heavily decrease the volume when applied. I checked the mic settings, the mic input volume and vocoder volume are turned up all the way. I just think it's strange that i have to turn the mic gain up that far to get a good level and then signal tends to clip
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

MoeGreen wrote:Yes you're right. Same thing with the waveshaper effect. All effects in the upper row heavily decrease the volume when applied. I checked the mic settings, the mic input volume and vocoder volume are turned up all the way. I just think it's strange that i have to turn the mic gain up that far to get a good level and then signal tends to clip
You need to set the Compressor+NS or the Limiter+NS to get proper volume!
Try it and you'll see a complete different behavior
MoeGreen

Post by MoeGreen »

Yes, you´re right. Now the vocoder works perfectly! And i think i´ve found the reason for the decrease in volume when apllying the effects mentioned above. As all the effects in the upper row of the cosm effects are guitar related, you always have to add an amp as the second cosm effect. When doing that, the volume is back to normal again.