Hello

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
jrc

Hello

Post by jrc »

Just want to say hello. I have just bought a version 2 v synth this week in tip top condition. I am upgrading my jp8000 after 16 very happy years and hoping I have done the right thing !! I have a nord stage for piano, organ, wurlitzer etc. and am hoping the v synth will take over for all the analogue sounds, strings, effects etc. Also, I use a sampler, so am hoping to get rid of that as well and use the v synth . May well be asking a few questions in the next week and would greatly appreciate any replies. Cheers.
synthman

Re: Hello

Post by synthman »

Hi jrc. Welcome to forum and congrats on owning one of (if not) the best synth Roland ever made. Have fun and remember, if you ever get stuck and need some help/advice, we are here to help.
cello

Post by cello »

Welcome to the Clan, jrc :)

Hope you have fun here - and as synthman says, here is a great place to learn, give and receive!

If you want more sounds for your V then head of to www.JP-80.com (don't let the name fool you ;) where there are hundreds upon hundreds of sounds to freely download.

Most importantly, enjoy your new gear - it's a hell of a synth :)
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

jrc wrote:Just want to say hello. I have just bought a version 2 v synth this week in tip top condition. I am upgrading my jp8000 after 16 very happy years and hoping I have done the right thing !! I have a nord stage for piano, organ, wurlitzer etc. and am hoping the v synth will take over for all the analogue sounds, strings, effects etc. Also, I use a sampler, so am hoping to get rid of that as well and use the v synth . May well be asking a few questions in the next week and would greatly appreciate any replies. Cheers.
Welcome to the Clan Jrc
You really bought one of the best synths ever (IMHO)

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine :-D

Don't hesitate to visit the repository ( as Cello already mentioned) and feel free to ask.
We are all here to learn and help others

Take care
synthman

Post by synthman »

Yes, and remember, as v synth owners, all, we've all looked at it and scratched our heads at some point and wondered.. So if you think a question is to stupid to ask, it isn't, fill free to ask, we've all been there...
jrc

Post by jrc »

Thankyou all so much for your great replies. Really appreciate them, and I will be back!! With questions !!!
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Welcome to the Clan jrc. I noticed replies from the UK and Portugal and just had to put one in from the USA as well!

Have fun with the V-Synth. It is quite versatile and a snap to edit sounds on and come up with exciting new patches. The "elastic" audio is one of the greatest things Roland did for sound design and you will note on vocal patches like "Da 'V' Code" and warbled guitar sounds like "Outsider" just how amazing it is.
V_Invert_B_1.jpg
V_Invert_B_1.jpg (24.14 KiB) Viewed 958 times
A right jolly and helpful bunch of lads to be sure here on the Clan. Make use of 'em...they really enjoy it!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

SoundworldA.D. wrote:Welcome to the Clan jrc. I noticed replies from the UK and Portugal and just had to put one in from the USA as well!
ahahah...European Union:2... USA:1 ;-D
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Hmmm....

You, cello and synthman...

By my count that is EU=3 and USA=1.

Even worse! I guess the rest of the yanks are all too preoccupied with what's going on over in Crimea with rootin' tootin' Putin! ///:-o
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

SoundworldA.D. wrote:Hmmm....

You, cello and synthman...

By my count that is EU=3 and USA=1.

Even worse! I guess the rest of the yanks are all too preoccupied with what's going on over in Crimea with rootin' tootin' Putin! ///:-o
You're right, EU=3, USA=1

rootin' tootin' Putin! Lol that is a good one. Who's he? ;-)
jrc

Post by jrc »

OK. Here are some questions.

When using the arpeggiator on random my v synth plays perfectly unless I opt for the 2 octave range. In the 2 octave range it only plays the root note up and down and not the 3 notes in the chord I am playing.

I have started writing my own patches in zones. I have created the right hand sound in a two zone patch. When trying to create the left hand sound I find that if I move the octaves up or down in that patch it affects the right hand sound and I do not seem able to isolate the octave up and down switch to affect only the zone patch I am working on.

I have saved a few patches but find after turning the synth off, they change octaves and i need to re-adjust these back to the right pitch.

Any thoughts anyone please?
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

jrc wrote:OK. Here are some questions.

When using the arpeggiator on random my v synth plays perfectly unless I opt for the 2 octave range. In the 2 octave range it only plays the root note up and down and not the 3 notes in the chord I am playing.
Strange... Are you sure that is not being affected by the Pattern itself?
Try to edit the ARP pattern and place all ARP steps down in the 1st line and try again with a UP or DOWN ARP type you should hear all the notes, and if in the +1, +2 or even +3 octave range you should hear all the notes.
Try an ARP rate around 90 or so.
jrc wrote: I have started writing my own patches in zones. I have created the right hand sound in a two zone patch. When trying to create the left hand sound I find that if I move the octaves up or down in that patch it affects the right hand sound and I do not seem able to isolate the octave up and down switch to affect only the zone patch I am working on.
I'm using a lot of patches with 2 and 3 zones and no problem at all with that
That shouldn't happen, as you are adjusting each Patch's PITCH, so it should not affect the other patches at all.
How are your zones defined?
How are you adjusting each Patch?
jrc wrote: I have saved a few patches but find after turning the synth off, they change octaves and i need to re-adjust these back to the right pitch.
After saving the patch you should also save the Project
jrc

Post by jrc »

Ok, now realised the octave up and down switch on the front is universal and not programmable so octave changes have to take place in the pitch page using the coarse pitch knob. Not like the JP8000 I am used to at all.
Getting to grips with the zones as well, but can't work out how to import another patch into a specific zone. In other words I have chosen a patch, modified it, then created a new zone but can only turn the voices on and use analogue waveforms or pcm samples. If I start looking at the patch list and press another patch I just go to that page and lose my split patch page. Hope that makes sense and that I'm not being really thick.

Also, the arp definitely does not work properly on random at two octaves either up or down. I play a three note chord and it arps only on one of the three notes. It does all the other patterns perfectly in two octaves, just not the random.
And finally, what do you mean by saving the project?