change XT .prj MIDI channel

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
koljaw

change XT .prj MIDI channel

Post by koljaw »

Hi guys,
at last I´ve registered to this forum, although I´ve been busy with my V-Synth XT for many years. By the way, thanks for all those worthy inputs you have posted !

Still I have a question, and maybe I´ve missed something in the manual or this forum:
Some V-Synth XT Projects from http://www.jp-80.com don´t give a sound unless you change the midi channel of the connected keyboard to channel 7. But how can I change the midi channel of these projects within my V-Synth XT, so that I don´t have to switch anything on my master keyboard ?

And if I may add another question. In the thread "Richard Devine V-Synth GT Patches... go get'em!!!!" a route is mentioned how to convert GT Projects to XT Projects. Sorry, I don´t seem intelligent enough to do that. Would anybody mind to post those Richard Devine patches ready-to-use for my V-Synth XT ?

Best regards
Kolja
PauloF

Re: change XT .prj MIDI channel

Post by PauloF »

koljaw wrote:Hi guys,
at last I´ve registered to this forum, although I´ve been busy with my V-Synth XT for many years. By the way, thanks for all those worthy inputs you have posted !

Still I have a question, and maybe I´ve missed something in the manual or this forum:
Some V-Synth XT Projects from http://www.jp-80.com don´t give a sound unless you change the midi channel of the connected keyboard to channel 7. But how can I change the midi channel of these projects within my V-Synth XT, so that I don´t have to switch anything on my master keyboard ?

And if I may add another question. In the thread "Richard Devine V-Synth GT Patches... go get'em!!!!" a route is mentioned how to convert GT Projects to XT Projects. Sorry, I don´t seem intelligent enough to do that. Would anybody mind to post those Richard Devine patches ready-to-use for my V-Synth XT ?

Best regards
Kolja
Hi,
Welcome to the Clan!

That could due to the Way the project was saved, but as the V-Synth XT is a Multi timbral synth, any part could be "connected" to any of the 16 MIDI Channels.
That said, in order to try helping you, can you tell me a few things?
1-which project is Giving you that problem?
2- from the Patch Play screen go to Menu, info and list which Patches are linked to each Part
3- from the MODE, SYSTEM, PART MIDI and from the screen tell me which MIDI channel is assigned to each Part and which ones are ON?
koljaw

Post by koljaw »

Hi Paulo,
it was for example "Pad Ocean.prj" and with your help I figured out that the Part Midi was set to 7, which is changed now.
But "JayB`s Sounds.prj" is very strange. All Midi channels are fine (Part 1 set to RX Ch 1, Part 2 set to RX Ch2 etc.) and still there won´t be any sound, unless I press the "Preview" button on the XT. What could that be ?
Kolja
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

it was for example "Pad Ocean.prj" and with your help I figured out that the Part Midi was set to 7, which is changed now.
Ah that would be some of my doing! Yes, my V-Synth XT is indeed set to MIDI channel 7 so that's where that came from. And I figure pretty much all of the SoundworldA.D. projects (Sparkler Pad, Altered States, etc) are probably also set to MC7.

My GT on the other hand is set to MC6, so the GT-specific projects may be set to that channel.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

SoundworldA.D. wrote:
Ah that would be some of my doing! Yes, my V-Synth XT is indeed set to MIDI channel 7 so that's where that came from. And I figure pretty much all of the SoundworldA.D. projects (Sparkler Pad, Altered States, etc) are probably also set to MC7.

My GT on the other hand is set to MC6, so the GT-specific projects may be set to that channel.
Here's the explanation!!! ;-)
As I'm importing the patches from all other projects to my own projects using the librarian, and as my XT is configured in a different way, I never noticed this...

Enjoy
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Paulo may have already done that with those RD patches so we'll just wait and see his response to that. On the other hand, a lot of the RD patches employ both an Upper and a Lower Tone, so many of them will no doubt sound quite different on the XT compared to the GT since the XT only supports a single Tone.
koljaw

Post by koljaw »

Dear all,

thanks for the Input and I´m curious about those Richard Devine sounds for XT, even if one tone is missing each time on every patch.

But one question remains: I can´t play the "JayB´s.prj" patches. I´ve checked the Midi Setup, everything seems to be normal. But the patches will only give a sound if I press the "preview" button on the XT itself.

So what is it I am missing ?

Best regards
Kolja
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

koljaw wrote:Dear all,

thanks for the Input and I´m curious about those Richard Devine sounds for XT, even if one tone is missing each time on every patch.

But one question remains: I can´t play the "JayB´s.prj" patches. I´ve checked the Midi Setup, everything seems to be normal. But the patches will only give a sound if I press the "preview" button on the XT itself.

So what is it I am missing ?

Best regards
Kolja
Hi
Are you loading the "JayB´s.prj" for the GT on its original version ?

Maybe we need to "convert" it first ;-)

I can do that for you, just confirm where can I find the original prj for the GT?
Www.jp-80.com?
koljaw

Post by koljaw »

Dear Paulo,

since I´m using an XT, I´m loading them from here: http://www.jp-80.com/xt/xt.html

Best regards
Kolja
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

koljaw wrote:Dear Paulo,

since I´m using an XT, I´m loading them from here: http://www.jp-80.com/xt/xt.html

Best regards
Kolja
I know you are using an XT, but you could be using a GT patch or a "converted" one that could be failing...
Never mind

Well...I must confess that I never tried this project before, but the goods news are that the JayB's Sounds.prj was giving the same exact problem on my XT, so after some investigation I'm posting a "repaired" JayB's Sounds_S.prj where all patches sound, except the ones from 118-126 because they are programmed as Sound effects for an instrument connected to the MIC/LINE INPUTS.

This "repaired" project will be accessible from the www.jp-80.com soon
2:43AM

Post by 2:43AM »

Koljaw,

How is the clock input configured for the project? Is it set to Internal or MIDI clock? If the latter, then a patch will not play properly without the MIDI clock signal being received. If you are using USB for MIDI, then I don't think the timing/clock thing works right...period. I think this is true, one of the reasons I switched from USB back over to tried-and-true MIDI cables for complete control!
koljaw

Post by koljaw »

Dear Paulo, dear 2:43AM,

I´m playing the XT via classic MIDI cable connection.

With your last contributions I got the right hint! When I go to Mode:System:MIDI USB, I had to turn off the "USB-MIDI Thru Sw" and then I can play all sounds via Midi cable from the master keyboard. But to be honest, I have no idea why that is so.

Cheers
Kolja
cello

Post by cello »

With many thanks to PauloF for doing the work, the repaired and updated JayB files are now ready for download in the XT/Others section of www.jp-80.com
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

cello wrote:With many thanks to PauloF for doing the work, the repaired and updated JayB files are now ready for download in the XT/Others section of http://www.jp-80.com
Thanks Cello, but maybe the original project was ok and just the s00 files were forcing the USB MIDI to MIDI-TRU, and I failed to see it on my own XT... Bahhhh

Anyway, if Koljaw's problem is now solved, all is well ;-)
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

This reminds me somewhat of an enigmatic and mysterious Stout project euphemistically known as "The Tommy". Jim Stout had originally delivered many projects to me and I did not do much with them as I didn't even have the librarian up and running yet.

After cello and I started assembling the various Stout projects for public consumption again after someone asked for it on The Clan, we ran into errors when loading the Tommy project. We spent many hours to no avail until it was discovered that the tones for some reason did not match and this prevented the project from loading up properly.

My first attempt at getting it to work was somewhat of a hatchet job since I just manually loaded internal tones and did my best at matching them to the various patches. I can't remember anymore how or where I found the original tones, and it will remain a mystery as to how exactly they became disconnected from the project in the first place, but once those magnificent B3 and C3 organs (thought to be the namesake for the Project after the landmark 1969 Rock Opera by The Who) were blasting in all their glory, it was on!

I am still quite amazed by the sheer number and quality of those V-Synth patches given totally free by Mr. Jim Stout, and Jay B's patch "PluckedSomething" has been used a lot (with arpeggiator thanks to Paulo's suggestion) on several SoundworldA.D. tunes.

The Repository of Sound, hosted by cello is just another reason for why The Clan is such a helpful and beneficial site. We are lucky to be able to share freely so many desirable sounds, for we who were around in the early days of digital synths remember spending big bucks on card sets with only a handful of really good useable patches. Many thanks to all who have contributed to make the Repository such a great success.