V-Synth and parts

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
pierps

V-Synth and parts

Post by pierps »

Hallo
I want to sequence the V but I don’t understand the window called SYSTEM Com Part Midi.

The fact is that I do not know how to associate to each part a different sound, in order to assign different midi channels .

What does it mean to precise parts? they are not zone, right? and even patch (because the V is not totally multitimbral). So how can I create a part and use it in the V?

Thanks
PauloF

Re: V-Synth and parts

Post by PauloF »

pierps wrote:Hallo
I want to sequence the V but I don’t understand the window called SYSTEM Com Part Midi.

The fact is that I do not know how to associate to each part a different sound, in order to assign different midi channels .

What does it mean to precise parts? they are not zone, right? and even patch (because the V is not totally multitimbral). So how can I create a part and use it in the V?

Thanks
The trick is:
- After deciding which Parts you want to use, from the MENU, SYSTEM, Common, Part Midi:
- Enable the chosen Parts
- Check if the MIDI Channels are as you want them (Normally the relationship is Part1=MIDI Ch 1, Part2=MIDI ch 2, etc, but you can reassign them as you want - fully flexible)
- Press WRITE to save the configuration
- From the Front Panel, press EXIT twice (you will go to the Patch Play Screen)
- From Patch Play, press the Drop down MENU and choose INFO
- From this screen you will see the assigned Patches to each Part. It's just a matter to choose the Patches you want for each one of the Parts that were enabled.

This is really very powerful, as you can use any combination and layer several parts on the same MIDI channel, the only limitation being the 24 Voice polyphony...
pierps

Post by pierps »

wooow!! my problem was ignoring Info key. Great! thank you very much!!
daX6fantom

Post by daX6fantom »

That's the thing that really chaps my hide about the GT. I can't believe they took this away. You can play two patches at once, but you can't even assign separate midi channels for them. Both patches have to play the same note at the same time.

Totally stupid.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

daX6fantom wrote:That's the thing that really chaps my hide about the GT. I can't believe they took this away. You can play two patches at once, but you can't even assign separate midi channels for them. Both patches have to play the same note at the same time.

Totally stupid.
Not exactly... You can set the Patches to sound on different parts of the Keyboard setting the Key Mode parameters (Tone Lower, Tone Upper, Select and Key range)

Unfortunately the GT is not multitimbral and it is not possible to assign a different MIDI channel for each of the OSCs as they consider that as ONE Part... that's really a pity.

However, the GT has other "advantages" like having two Synths that can use APS and Vocal designer Patches at the same time (the XT don't have APS and can't have Vocal Designer at the same time as the Synth).
Also it has lots of knobs and switches and a proper TimeTrip Pad and D-Beam :-)
daX6fantom

Post by daX6fantom »

Yes, you gave a better explanation than mine, I guess it is possible to play two parts at once in the same key range, but you'd have to muck around with key ranges and coarse tunings/pitch shifts (I forget what they call it). Although once you've set up key ranges you can just flip through auditioning patches which is good. It's still pretty stupid that it can't read two channels though.

The GT is still an awesome synth overall. It's just a pity that there's such a glaring omission such as this, and the midi sync bug is pretty bad as well. I have to manually set the tempo of patches so the delays will work properly without horrible artifacts.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

daX6fantom wrote:Yes, you gave a better explanation than mine, I guess it is possible to play two parts at once in the same key range, but you'd have to muck around with key ranges and coarse tunings/pitch shifts (I forget what they call it). Although once you've set up key ranges you can just flip through auditioning patches which is good. It's still pretty stupid that it can't read two channels though.

The GT is still an awesome synth overall. It's just a pity that there's such a glaring omission such as this, and the midi sync bug is pretty bad as well. I have to manually set the tempo of patches so the delays will work properly without horrible artifacts.
In fact they is bad that we can't assign one MIDI channel to each TONE.That would open lots of possibilities...

Regarding the MIDI synch problem, as far as I know it only happens with USB. If you use an inexpensive 5-Pin MIDI/USB Converter (like the Roland UM-1 or similar), you won't have the issue, and you can still use the GT's USB as the AUDIO interface of your computer.
daX6fantom

Post by daX6fantom »

PauloF wrote:
daX6fantom wrote:Regarding the MIDI synch problem, as far as I know it only happens with USB. If you use an inexpensive 5-Pin MIDI/USB Converter (like the Roland UM-1 or similar), you won't have the issue, and you can still use the GT's USB as the AUDIO interface of your computer.
I had the problem either way actually, I tested this when I first had the problem. It was a long time ago that I tested it, so I may try it out again sometime though.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

daX6fantom wrote:
PauloF wrote:
daX6fantom wrote:Regarding the MIDI synch problem, as far as I know it only happens with USB. If you use an inexpensive 5-Pin MIDI/USB Converter (like the Roland UM-1 or similar), you won't have the issue, and you can still use the GT's USB as the AUDIO interface of your computer.
I had the problem either way actually, I tested this when I first had the problem. It was a long time ago that I tested it, so I may try it out again sometime though.
I don't have a GT, but as my XT had the exact same issue with USB and I solved it by using the 5-PIN MIDI interface (just use the USB for Data and Audio), maybe the GT is about the same.
pierps

Post by pierps »

about the multitimbral (on V-synth)... I know that you can not have more than one effect section, and there is only this section for 16 parts….but can you bypass it?
for example part one-> mfx+reverb
part2->none
part3->chorus+reverb

etcetera...
pierps

Post by pierps »

PauloF wrote:
pierps wrote:Hallo

Thanks
The trick is:
- After deciding which Parts you want to use, from the MENU, SYSTEM, Common, Part Midi:
- Enable the chosen Parts
- Check if the MIDI Channels are as you want them (Normally the relationship is Part1=MIDI Ch 1, Part2=MIDI ch 2, etc, but you can reassign them as you want - fully flexible)
- Press WRITE to save the configuration
- From the Front Panel, press EXIT twice (you will go to the Patch Play Screen)
- From Patch Play, press the Drop down MENU and choose INFO
- From this screen you will see the assigned Patches to each Part. It's just a matter to choose the Patches you want for each one of the Parts that were enabled.

This is really very powerful, as you can use any combination and layer several parts on the same MIDI channel, the only limitation being the 24 Voice polyphony...
sorry if I insist on this question
but is it possible to save these setting? which are shown in the info...
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

pierps wrote:about the multitimbral (on V-synth)... I know that you can not have more than one effect section, and there is only this section for 16 parts….but can you bypass it?
for example part one-> mfx+reverb
part2->none
part3->chorus+reverb

etcetera...
That is perfectly possible to do, but assuming that in MENU, SYSTEM, IO, you have set the MIX/Parallel to PARALLEL=meaning the two OUTs are independent, when layering all of them several things happen depending on what Part you chose as the Main one (the one shown in the Display):

1- If the Part that has no MFX is the Main one, it will play via the DIR output and the layered ones (having MFX or not) will play via the MAIN OUT but with NO MFX
2- if one of the Parts that HAS MFX+Chorus+Reverb assigned is the MAIN one, All Parts will play via both OUTs. Via the DIR with no Effects and via the MAIN using the MAIN one's MFX.

So, summarizing... A PITA, as although you can get the Parts to be output to the OUT you assigned to them, they will play via the EFFECT Settings of the MAIN Part (the one on the Display).

So with careful settings you can have some results, but difficult to be "black or white", if you know what I mean.

However, if you don't use the internal EFFECTS (MFX, CHORUS and REVERB=OFF) and no Routing between thous effects, well then the control is TOTAL and you can assign Parts to be Output via the MAIN or the DIR at will, with no interference from the EFFECTS section.