V-Synth XT - how to load D-50 sounds found on the Web?

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
quantum7

V-Synth XT - how to load D-50 sounds found on the Web?

Post by quantum7 »

I was hoping to learn how I may load D-50 soundsets that I find around the Internet. So far I have found 3 soundsets from right here: http://www.rolandclan.com/library/d-50/ 1 is an SQS file and the other 2 are SYSEX files. Any help appreciated in loading into my XT would be most appreciated.

Thanks! :)
2:43AM

Re: V-Synth XT - how to load D-50 sounds found on the Web?

Post by 2:43AM »

I'm going to say it's not possible. Those sounds are for the original D-50.
cello

Post by cello »

I second that motion - not possible as I think you'd need a D50 to be able to read the format(s).
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

quantum7 wrote:I was hoping to learn how I may load D-50 soundsets that I find around the Internet. So far I have found 3 soundsets from right here: http://www.rolandclan.com/library/d-50/ 1 is an SQS file and the other 2 are SYSEX files. Any help appreciated in loading into my XT would be most appreciated.

Thanks! :)
Sorry to "disappoint" you guys ;-) but that's perfectly possible!

I've done it some time ago.
You should begin by connecting the XT to the computer and save all VC1 related directories and files first!

There are two ways to do it:
1- By using a SysEx editor (like Sonar LE or others)
2- by using the D-50 Librarian (yes...there is one done by one guy that I can't recall the name at the moment)

I'll give more details as soon as I get home next week ( I'm out of the country on business this week)
cello

Post by cello »

Always happy to be proved wrong PauloF!

Interesting. I shall push my luck here :) ...

If you've done it, any chance you could do an XT export for the Repository? I could also do a GTv2 conversion.

Would be interesting to be able to hear/use those D50 sounds...

hope your biz trip going well - maybe once you get back perhaps you could see what's possible :) :)
quantum7

Post by quantum7 »

I finally figured out how to do it last night via MIDI and loaded several D-50 MIDI SYSEX files via Cubase into the V-Synth XT/D-50. Pretty cool! Now I just have to figure out how to load actual .SYX files into the V-Synth. Cubase does not import .SYX files. Anyone know how to get .SYX files into the V-Synth?
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

quantum7 wrote:I finally figured out how to do it last night via MIDI and loaded several D-50 MIDI SYSEX files via Cubase into the V-Synth XT/D-50. Pretty cool! Now I just have to figure out how to load actual .SYX files into the V-Synth. Cubase does not import .SYX files. Anyone know how to get .SYX files into the V-Synth?
Yes, there is an easy way (one of them like I said) :-). Just remembered the guy's name: Try to download and use the D-50 Librarian from Chris Nightingale http://www.d50librarian.co.uk. Really awesome App for Windows only.

From what you wrote and from the photos, you are using a Mac... so maybe this is a problem for you...
you tell me
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

cello wrote:Always happy to be proved wrong PauloF!

Interesting. I shall push my luck here :) ...

If you've done it, any chance you could do an XT export for the Repository? I could also do a GTv2 conversion.

Would be interesting to be able to hear/use those D50 sounds...

hope your biz trip going well - maybe once you get back perhaps you could see what's possible :) :)

Hummm.... that....I don't think it is possible, as the D-50 Synth block structure is completely different from the XT's one. The D-50's is more similar to the XV/Fantoms/integra's PCM Synth structure although there are some features that the old D-50 have, that no other newer Roland synth has, like the "CHASE" parameter, that I never found anywhere else.

So I think that would be a lot easier to simulate D-50 sounds with the Integra than with the V-Synth itself.
Other option will be to Sample the 128 D-50 (VC1) waveforms by means of an external sampler and then use them on the V-Synth..

well..some possibilities and lots of time to experiment

I hope to get home soon
Take care
quantum7

Post by quantum7 »

Got the WINDOWS editor and all is working well! Luckily I use Windows. :)

Thanks again!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

quantum7 wrote:Got the WINDOWS editor and all is working well! Luckily I use Windows. :)

Thanks again!
I'm glad !

IMO, the thought of loading D-50 sysx files into the XT, and then playing them of course, sounds better than what the actual outcome may be!
quantum7

Post by quantum7 »

I've tracked down some incredible Roland soundbanks via SYSEX and they sound fantastic. With the D-50 editor it only takes 2 seconds to load each bank. :)

quantum7 wrote:I've tracked down some incredible Roland soundbanks via SYSEX and they sound fantastic. With the D-50 editor it only takes 2 seconds to load each bank. :)
OK, now you have piqued my interest! Care to share some links to the best banks?