V-Synth XT and Compact Flash cards again

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
Iceman777

V-Synth XT and Compact Flash cards again

Post by Iceman777 »

Dear friends,

I want to ask for your opinion about what to choose and what to do concerning the purchase of the Compact Flash card for the V-Synth XT. Your opinion is probably the only thing which can help me out in this matter...

Few days ago I could finally locate the PCMCIA to Compact Flash card adapter from Transcend like many of you are probably using (did not buy it yet), but have trouble with choosing the actual Compact Flash card. The only available that I can find are from Transcend and they are 16GB in size. For some reason it doesn't seem possible to find anything with the smaller capacity. There is a little chance to get 4GB CF card from Transcend and one from SanDisk, but I doubt that these particular shops have the return policy to them.

Then there are so called "industrial" compact flash cards from Transcend which cost a lot, but might be available with 512MB storage and up. These are sold at the same place where adapter is available and I was told that these are more reliable and better than the usual compact flash cards. I am not sure what to do since I have heard that Transcend cards are not recommended, but can't seem to find any other brands on sale here locally. Most of what I can find have huge storage capacity and I am afraid that they just won't be readable in V-Synth. Same question concerning the "industrial" cards. However, one famous musician here in Ukraine used to have V-Synth XT and he claims that he used the usual 16GB Transcend flash card and that it worked without any hint of a problem. I feel a bit confused here and any help or opinion from you would be worth gold as we say here. :)

Thank you!

-- Denis
SoundworldA.D.

Re: V-Synth XT and Compact Flash cards again

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Greetings Iceman,

I have used the Roland 1G CF card in my XT and had no problems. I can't remember what I paid when I bought it but I notice it is a bit pricey these days at $23.95. There were cards from SanDisk and other manufacturers all the way from 512MB and up on Amazon, so it looks like the smaller CF cards are still very much available.

I copied the link for the Roland card but you should be able to shop for the other cards available from there. Many folks have used the larger CF's without any problem so you are not limited to just the smaller ones.

http://www.amazon.com/Roland-CompactFla ... 3&sr=1-181

Happy shopping and God bless my friend,
.:':.DH.:':.
synthman

Post by synthman »

Hi Iceman.

I use a Kingston 1Gb 3.3 volt flash card, with a standard CF card adaptor. Theres Nothing special about them. Any CF card should work for you just check that it's a 3 volt one as they come in different votages I'm not sure if a higher votages one, say 5 v will work. Also, any CF card adaptor will work, they don't have to be from the same maker so you can mix & match. I got both of mine from eBay for very litle money, I think round about £20 the pair, but from different sellers. There is a thread on the site about this very subject. Good luck
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

One thing to consider is another route
Use SD cards for cheaper pricing
you already have a CF pc card adapter now all you need is a CF to SD adapter
http://www.cellphoneshop.net/sdcf.html
so now you insert any SD in to the CF adapter and then the CF in to the PC card adapter ;)