V-Synth XT vs. GT

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
MarkH

V-Synth XT vs. GT

Post by MarkH »

Hi all,

My apologies if this has been covered before. The PDF version of the "Roland Catalog for the V-Synth" shows both the GT and XT in the same PDF. Are the architectural/sound engine differences between the GT and XT? Or is the XT simply a rack version of the GT? I prefer the rack version since I use a Jupiter 80 as my main synth/controller, but would be willing to go with the GT if it's a higher praised unit.

Thanks,
Mark
Quinnx.

Re: V-Synth XT vs. GT

Post by Quinnx. »

I personally prefer the XT over the GT
advantages for the XT
portable
3 full dedicated synth engines (Vsynth, D50, Vocal coder)
and easier to program.
MarkH

Post by MarkH »

Thanks for the response. I received similar feedback from a few other folks I spoke with. I decided to get the XT. Should be in my possession in the next 24-48 hours. Looking forward to receiving it.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

Good! choice
You wont be disappointed ;-)
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

The GT does not have the D-50, but it does have a built in vocal designer. It also has two V-Synth engines (i.e., two tones with 4 Osc's versus 1 tone with 2 osc's on the XT) and some extra EFX. The twin D-beams and the easily more accessible Time Trip pad also make the GT better for live manipulation.

I have both units and fully agree with Quinn about the ease of editing and navigating on the XT. That said, the GT has one feature that I couldn't do without, and that is the incorporation of the AP-S. The realism of the horns, violins & erhu's just cannot be done on the XT.

Enjoy the XT. It is such a powerful unit.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

two tones with 4 Osc's versus 1 tone with 2 osc's on the XT
Believe it or not..
the XT has 1 tone/patch and upto 32 Osc's of which the GT has access to only 4
but you will probably only able to play upto 24 simultaneously since this is the poly limit of the V-Synth.

and the (Time trip Pad) is also available on-screen with a single press of the CTRL button on the front panel,
You also have 8 assignable physical controllers
and each controller can control upto 2 CC`s simultaneously.
They can also be programed separately to control external devices too.
and you have 8 user banks which your control setting can be save too including the time trip pad settings.
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Well I obviously stated the "Tone/Osc" thing in the wrong way. The GT can simultaneously play both an Upper and a Lower "tone" with 28 voices of polyphony whereas the XT can play 1 "tone" with 24 voices of polyphony.

Roland stated that the GT was like having "two V-Synth's" but with a massive two-tone patch employing both COSM's you are right that it becomes a moot point since you will run out of voices real quick...bollocks!

I knew about the Time Trip feature on the XT but note that I was stating that for live performance (which I don't do) having it right there without any screen changes is a boon.

They are both magnificent machines. I use both liberally.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

Nice! to hear you have them both to choose from ;-)
I did have the GT very briefly when it was released but quickly got rid of it because i did not like the architecture and difficult programming compared to the V2 or XT.
also was disappointed that it had a single midi layer compared to the XT and V2 16 midi layers.
so I know use both V2 and XT.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

SoundworldA.D. wrote:Well I obviously stated the "Tone/Osc" thing in the wrong way. The GT can simultaneously play both an Upper and a Lower "tone" with 28 voices of polyphony whereas the XT can play 1 "tone" with 24 voices of polyphony.

Roland stated that the GT was like having "two V-Synth's" but with a massive two-tone patch employing both COSM's you are right that it becomes a moot point since you will run out of voices real quick...bollocks!

I knew about the Time Trip feature on the XT but note that I was stating that for live performance (which I don't do) having it right there without any screen changes is a boon.

They are both magnificent machines. I use both liberally.
In fact the XT can play up to 16 simultaneous TONES with 24 voices of Polyphony ;-)

In practical terms (depending on the voices used) several parts/Tones Layering can be perfectly used on the XT, where on the GT you can only use two TONES.

I use several XT Parts/Tones layered with the Integra Parts for massive sound

Enjoy this awesome piece of work !!! ;-)
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

Another thing is if you happen to own a Fantom G you also can recall upto 128 of these XT 16 part layered setups using Studio Mode Ext page. ;-)
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

Hi all

I recently acquired a mint GT and like the fact that I can split the keyboard live and use the vocoder on the left with a pad or lead on the right etc

I am however looking for an XT to control and layer with my JP80 as I think the V concept and sound is something else. Is it possible to have several channels with different tones on the XT within a patch? I realise that I won't be able to have the same vocoder/synth configuration that I have on the XT as I do on the GT.

Maybe I will need two XTs!

Cheers.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

No, patches on the xt do not store any configuration for any of the other 15 midi channels
they have to be configured manually or by sysex.. or as i mentioned recalling a studio set on the fantomG
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

Thanks for the reply Quinnx, that's a great help. As far as I can see, the JP80 doesn't benefit from the same function as the Fantom G.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

Hey MarkH

Did you get your XT
How are you getting along with it, is it keeping you busy?