V-Synth 2.0 falling out of tune

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
jeebustrain

V-Synth 2.0 falling out of tune

Post by jeebustrain »

Hi guys, I use my V-Synth (along with a Kronos) in the live setup with my band. the V-Synth has about a 50% role as a controller for Kronos sounds, but I have a lot of programmed synth patches that the Kronos just can't get right (it's an 80s pop cover band). The problem is that every now and again, I find that the V-Synth patches are slightly out of tune. Like almost a quarter step flat. It's every sound (I've gone in and checked tuning on the individual patches to verify). I checked the global tuning in the settings and it's set to 440 (just like the Kronos). Usually a reboot fixes it (as it did last night). It's happened at least a 1/2 dozen times in the last few months. I baby the synth. I have a really heavy duty Gator case for it, never let anyone else touch my gear, and all of our gigs are in non-smoking venues. I bought it used about 3 years ago and it was in almost mint condition.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Quinnx.

Re: V-Synth 2.0 falling out of tune

Post by Quinnx. »

It could be a midi thing
Next time you find a patch out of tune try moving the PITCH BEND on the vsynth and release see if this works.
Pitch bends have a tenancy not to reset and cause this kinda problem.
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

I agree ref the pitch bend comment. Both my A90s do it, to the point where I don't use pitch bend any more. Sometimes, wiggling the lever corrects it, but not often, much to my embarrassment. Like you the pitch discrepancy is about a quarter tone, but very noticeable!

I discussed it with an ex Roland service manager who still services Roland kit (very well, I may add) and he said that after a lot of use, "it's what they do" I managed to find replacements on eBay which should sort it and having recently got hold of a mint GT, feel inclined to get one for it as well.

Best of luck with getting it sorted.
jeebustrain

Post by jeebustrain »

thanks guys - I'll keep that in mind the next time it happens (I usually notice it once every couple weeks). If that's all it is (with the easy fix) and it's not going to get worse, that's really not that big of a deal. It's on almost every day for at least a few hours.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

jeebustrain wrote:thanks guys - I'll keep that in mind the next time it happens (I usually notice it once every couple weeks). If that's all it is (with the easy fix) and it's not going to get worse, that's really not that big of a deal. It's on almost every day for at least a few hours.
Yes, I was going to say the same. The MOD wheel are made with two Potentiometers which tend to wear with time.
While I owned a Fantom Xa (long time ago), I had to replace its MOD Pots due to that exact problem

BTW... Nice setup ;-)