Problem with sample memory

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
KipperGoodness

Problem with sample memory

Post by KipperGoodness »

Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a v-synth gt on ebay and am loving it. But I have one problem I can't figure out: supposedly it has 50meg or ram, yes? I downloaded about 3 megs of samples and used that nicely. Then I tried to download another sample, maybe 2 megs at most and it said "sample full." I deleted one of the other samples so I could load this one in and that worked. But then when I went to Encode it, it said "Not enough space." Which makes no sense because I now only have one other sample on there that is encoded at about 1.4 megabytes.

This synth was reset to its factory settings. There are no other samples listed in the memory besides the presets. What am I missing?

Thanks for you help in advance!
synthman

Re: Problem with sample memory

Post by synthman »

Thats because most of the RAM it is taken up by the presets.if you want to get close to 50 you need to create a new blank project and work from there.Or if you want a blank canvas on boot, press EXIT on power up.You will also have to use a CF and move the internal project to it and delete the internal project from RAMto get back the space you are missing, But you will still only get a max of 23.4MB.
KipperGoodness

Post by KipperGoodness »

Thanks Synthman! That is really helpful. One question, what is a "CF?" Thanks in advance.
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

CF : Compact Flash (memory card)
synthman

Post by synthman »

+1.
synthman

Post by synthman »

Remember that as well as the CF memory card, you'll also need to get the adaptor for it as the CF card won't fit in the synth on its own. You can use ANY make of card with ANY make of adaptor, the name on it doesn't make any difference.
So you don't need a Roland one for instance. I use a Kingston 1 gig card with a bog stranded adaptor if that helps?
Monib

Post by Monib »

You have a GT, you don't need a CF card. You can us a regular USB stick, or load directly from your computer.

Monib
synthman

Post by synthman »

I have a v synth v2 and it also doesn't need a cf card to load projects, It can also load projects directly from my pc. But I prefer to put the cf card into my PC and transfer them to it and then load the projects into the v synth.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

I have a v synth v2 and it also doesn't need a cf card to load projects, It can also load projects directly from my pc.
Thats not really a wise thing to do
as it takes up ram you could otherwise use
also if you make changes to your project you always have to make sure you backup
the current one before copying the next etc..
and dont forget you may not always have computer connection
CF is the best option especially for portability and data security
synthman

Post by synthman »

Quinnx. wrote:
I have a v synth v2 and it also doesn't need a cf card to load projects, It can also load projects directly from my pc.
Thats not really a wise thing to do
as it takes up ram you could otherwise use
also if you make changes to your project you always have to make sure you backup
the current one before copying the next etc..
and dont forget you may not always have computer connection
CF is the best option especially for portability and data security
What's not wize?, i always put my cf card in my pc and put the project(s) on it then put it in my v and load which projects I want to use. Is this wize?
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

You previously suggested loading projects directly the vsynth without the use of a CF card.
synthman

Post by synthman »

Sorry, I seem to be getting a bit mixed up. I thought that was what the 'USB' port was for. I know I've done this via my cf card, non to sure if I've done the same thing via USB/PC. memory's not what it once was, Parkinson's you know. :(
Monib

Post by Monib »

The manual explains this further.

With th GT you can load sounds from either USB connected to computer, AND a USB stick connected to your GT. Look at the back, you should see two USB connections.

Don't have my GT anymore, so I can't provide details.

CF cards can be loaded into XT/Original.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

Yes there are 2 usb ports however the one that connects a cable to your computer allows you to enter
mass storage device mode and is "exclusive"
which means in this mode you loose all vsynth functionality until you exit this mode.
Also this mode allows you to copy projects to or from the vsynth it does not allow you to actually LOAD A PROJECT.
So as per Roland usual PR, the manual its is misleading.