New To The V-Synth GT

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
RolandHeadSTGv-gt

New To The V-Synth GT

Post by RolandHeadSTGv-gt »

I'm the proud new owner of a Roland V-Synth GT and only have one question that worries me. The computer I use to go online and download software updates, patches and so forth is a Mac although the computer that I use in my recording studio is a server that I built that runs windows. If I download a patch on my Mac will it still be compatible with the windows software if I were to want to put it as a back up on my studio computer? Knowledge is received with infinite gratitude
LA Keys

Re: New To The V-Synth GT

Post by LA Keys »

Well, let me first welcome you to the clan. I'm surprised that no one else already answered your question... Great synth btw, I have a GT too, it is fantastic but sadly very few understand how powerful it is.

I don't know much about Mac, but I'm sure the patches will work. In fact I often see the _MACOSX folder in zip files containing patches. Those work fine under windows.

You will find tons of free patches there, just in case you don't know yet:
http://www.jp-80.com/index.html

I also suggest you to look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIq716_A330

Those are commercial patches (around $35), but certainly one of the best I've ever heard.

LA
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

Congratulations on your acquisition. I got hold of a GT last year and can guarantee that you won't be disappointed. I use a Mac and have downloaded numerous excellent patches, tones etc from the sites listed above without any issues.

However, I am transferring them from the folder on the Mac via a memory stick as, as far as I know, it's not possible to use a usb cable connection because Roland haven't updated the drivers for Mavericks onwards.
missing

Post by missing »

Hi everyone - new Roland V Synth GT owner here too (only other synth is a Crumar Performer...)

As far as I can tell, using a memory stick is still the only way to go in terms of transferring data back and forth between the GT and a Mac (Yosemite user), correct?

Looking forward to chatting with everyone!

Best,
Matthew
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

missing wrote:Hi everyone - new Roland V Synth GT owner here too (only other synth is a Crumar Performer...)

As far as I can tell, using a memory stick is still the only way to go in terms of transferring data back and forth between the GT and a Mac (Yosemite user), correct?

Looking forward to chatting with everyone!

Best,
Matthew

Hi Matthew, Welcome to the Clan!

No, in fact you can transfer files by connecting to the Mac via USB (see V-Synth GT Owners Manual, pages 223-226)

Cheers,
PauloF
missing

Post by missing »

Thanks PauloF! Didnt know if there were any issues with Yosemite for this...will give it a shot!

Cheers,
Matthew
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

missing wrote:Thanks PauloF! Didnt know if there were any issues with Yosemite for this...will give it a shot!

Cheers,
Matthew
No problems with Yosemite here as you are only transferring Data and your V-Synth GT will show as a Logic Drive on the MAC

MIDI is a complete different story...
missing

Post by missing »

ah, that's where I was getting confused (midi)...

thanks again my friend!
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

Hi there,

Can you please advise hat settings I need to make on the GT, is it simply a case of selecting the "mount the computer"'option and the Mac will see the synth?

Many thanks.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

TJ80 wrote:Hi there,

Can you please advise hat settings I need to make on the GT, is it simply a case of selecting the "mount the computer"'option and the Mac will see the synth?

Many thanks.

As I mentioned in one of my latest posts, you can transfer files by connecting to the Mac via USB - please see V-Synth GT Owners Manual, pages 223-226, where all is explained.

But the important part is this one:
Attachments
GT_USB-Data.tiff
GT_USB-Data.tiff (70.32 KiB) Viewed 3073 times
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

Many thanks, I figured it out earlier this evening.
It was the fact that icon takes a while to appear on my desktop that threw me.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

TJ80 wrote:Many thanks, I figured it out earlier this evening.
It was the fact that icon takes a while to appear on my desktop that threw me.
Perfect TJ !!
Glad you made it

Cheers,
Paulo
missing

Post by missing »

once you see the icon on the desktop...then what? I wasn't able to do anything...am I missing something?
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

missing wrote:once you see the icon on the desktop...then what? I wasn't able to do anything...am I missing something?
Then you click on it twice and a window will open showing its contents!