Looking to Program This Sound

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
2:43AM

Looking to Program This Sound

Post by 2:43AM »

I need help programming a particular sound. Hopefully there are some programming gurus out there that can help me. In fact, I may post more than one sound/patch.

Overall, I am decent at programming patches, whether it's on the V-Synth, the Virus TI, or another synth. So if a particular sound/patch maybe isn't possible on the V-Synth, then no biggie; I will just try it on another synth.

OK for this go-around, please listen to the attached file. The clip is from the song "Erasing Pluto" by Cell. The sound I'm looking for help programming is what I will refer to as the "springy bass," which first is heard at 0:12.

Cell is an ambient/down-tempo artist, but I hear this type of sound in other selections as well, from Aes Dana, Solar Fields, etc. So maybe it's a sample that gets passed around. Not sure. But at some point in time, the sound had to have been programmed.

So how do I make this sound?

I hear a slow increase of cut-off frequency through the delayed part. Maybe to give it that "springiness," it's chorused/delayed? Or maybe it's a little bit of FM? And I assume the oscillator is one or two saws, but not sure.

Thanks for the help!
Attachments
Erasing Pluto Bass Sound.mp3
Springy Bass - Erasing Pluto by Cell
(737.86 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
LA Keys

Re: Looking to Program This Sound

Post by LA Keys »

I'm not a programming guru but looks to me that beside the obvious delay effect I believe he's basically modulating a filter, or using a flanger effect. I would try modulating a comb filter on the v-synth. Probably put it after the delay effect.

LA
2:43AM

Re: Looking to Program This Sound

Post by 2:43AM »

Thanks for the tips! I'll give it some effort. I must ask, however, how do I put the comb filter (COSM) after the delay effect?