v-synth vs vsynth gt sound wise ? any difference

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
kineticsoundprism

v-synth vs vsynth gt sound wise ? any difference

Post by kineticsoundprism »

has anyone here used both the vsynth 2.0 and Xt and Gt and heard any difference in them at the fundemental level ? did they alter the sound in any way between them.

I found the xt really a fat fat synth in the low end but how is the Gt ? thinking of upgrading but i cant test one and i am wary of differences in sound , are there any ?

i am wondering if an upgrade is needed but i want the keys version and also i am guessing theres some amazing stacked 2 x tone patches in the vsynth presets and it will be no problem to convert my old patches.

cheers for any advice
LA Keys

Re: v-synth vs vsynth gt sound wise ? any difference

Post by LA Keys »

I had the 2.0, bought the jama sounddesign patches (https://www.youtube.com/user/Jamasounddesign) and then later sold it, bought a GT and converted the patches for the GT (This is easy as the GT has a function for that). I didn't heard any noticeable difference between the two.

This being said I never had both side by side to compare and I'm not using the GT much anymore, but I'm pretty sure that at the "fundamental level" they will sound just about the same.

LA
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

Hello,
I have an XT and a GT and to my ears, the GT seems brighter, maybe it has better D to A converters or perhaps the effects are better.

I don't however, find myself preferring one over the other although, the GT has more functionality for what I want to do with it
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

TJ80 wrote:Hello,
I have an XT and a GT and to my ears, the GT seems brighter, maybe it has better D to A converters or perhaps the effects are better.

I don't however, find myself preferring one over the other although, the GT has more functionality for what I want to do with it
I had a XT for a few years and played occasionally with a GT several times, and apart from the two tone approach on the GT over the XT and Multi-timbrality on the XT over the GT, soundwise they sounded pretty the same to my ears.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

I have both v2 and v xt and to be honest the XT is king.. even better than the GT... gt is a pig to program and you can layer upto 12 patches on the xt and v2 but not the GT.. XT is KING and you get 3 in 1 synths.. vsynth, D50 and Vocoder..
How can you loose with this power house?
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Quinnx. wrote:I have both v2 and v xt and to be honest the XT is king.. even better than the GT... gt is a pig to program and you can layer upto 12 patches on the xt and v2 but not the GT.. XT is KING and you get 3 in 1 synths.. vsynth, D50 and Vocoder..
How can you loose with this power house?
Well... On the GT you can run the vocoder at the same time as the V-Synth sounds which is a plus, but apart from that, completely agree that the XT is "THE KING"!
TJ80

Post by TJ80 »

I am curious as to what the available polyphony is when you layer up 12 patches on the XT
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

TJ80 wrote:I am curious as to what the available polyphony is when you layer up 12 patches on the XT
In my case, I've never used more than 2-3 patches in layer mode, as the 24 voice polyphony is very penalizing in this situation.

in Zones mode it is very flexible, especially with a 88 note keyboard. This way you can set several splits and the polyphony is reduced in practice to 12 voices / part in case you play chords with the two hands :-)
robotunes

Post by robotunes »

I've owned all 3, including the XT and the V-Synth simultaneously and then the V-Synth and the GT simultaneously. No difference in sound to my ears.

V-Synth wins on interface, XT wins with size and the D50 and VC-1 cards (but loses big because it can't send arp out), and the GT wins on flexibility. You can make great music with any of them, but the GT suits my needs best.
coyote14

Post by coyote14 »

I had the V-synth XT for nearly 7 years now, and I just acquired the GT.

I think there IS a difference in sound, mostly FX definition. Especially reverbs which are much better on GT. There 22 FX more, and internal resolution of FX is 32 bits in GT instead of 24 bits on XT. They sound more natural to my ears.

On the other hand, Vocal Processor is less flexible on GT, though it can be layered with GT internal synthesis: You cannot use internal sounds as modulator, only external inputs. I found a trick by routing the signal by a cable going from Direct output 1&2 to input, but this is really tricky ;-)

GT has many other differences: USB2, many ergonomic tips, tap tempo on LCD...very small thing that makes your life easier. And so many new programs/samples, too!
mikefellh

Post by mikefellh »

I disagree with what's being said...while it's six of one, half dozen of the other depending on your desires, I say the GT is the best of the bunch.

While the GT doesn't have the D-50 card built in or as an option (then again I have a D-50 and a D-550 anyway), you don't have to choose whether you want to boot as a V-Synth or Vocal Designer...on the GT the Vocal Designer is always available with the push of a button WITHOUT rebooting!

Also the GT has what no other V-Synth has..."Articulation Phrase Synthesis". With that the GT can simulate the nuances and models the response and behavior of a real instrument such as trills, portamentos, vibratos, and dynamic expression. For example check out the strings and flute in the following:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBOYIO4lm7M

The first sound the presenter plays sounds like every other V-Synth, quite dead. But when AP-Synthesis is added it sounds like a real performer (and I say that as someone who used to play violin/viola).

I admit I was trying to get the XT at first because the GT is so large and I'm a D-50 fan, but since I was able to pick up the GT cheap on Boxing Day ($800USD), and since discovering what the GT can do better than the other V-Synths, I have no regrets!
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

I have 1 XT and 2 GT's and end up using them all, but I think what robotunes said suits the discussion best...it really depends on the needs and the requirements of the individual as to whether the XT or GT is best suited for a particular user.

When I built my custom Soundworld patches for the Repository on this site (was it 150? 160? Blimey, I've lost count it has been so long!) I primarily used the XT because of the much easier editing environment. I then ported all of those same patches over to my GT's. To be honest, I couldn't tell a whole lot of difference in the sound quality between them per se, but I do see that others noted the extra EFX and 32-bit sound on the GT.

I have to agree with mikefellh though that the thing though that the GT has that the XT does not have and that I could not do without is the APS. I just cannot get really good sounding horns on the XT but definitely can on the GT thanks to APS. And that goes for the violins and erhu sounds as well.

A tidbit about polyphony since someone brought it up. The XT states 24 voice polyphony and indeed you can blow through those pretty quickly if you use both tones and both COSM effects. The GT states that it has a "dual-core" architecture which I originally misunderstood to mean 48 voice polyphony.

Actually, the GT has 28 voice polyphony listed, and again, you can blow through those with ease if you use all 4 voices with all COSM effects employed as well.

All in all, you cannot go wrong with any of the V-Synth's. I would not say one is necessarily BETTER than the other, just different in subtle ways that make the different versions perfect compliments to each other if you can have both. For those who can't, studying up on the differences and determining which features best suit the needs of the user is a must.

Best regards,
.:':.DH.:':.
cello

Post by cello »

off topic - Hey SoundworldA.D. - welcome back; been a while!
on topic...
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

cello wrote:off topic - Hey SoundworldA.D. - welcome back; been a while!
on topic...
Yes... "long time no see" SWAD!
Welcome back
Cheers,
PauloF
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Thanks lads. The little one is taking up all of my spare time, but it is a real joy!

And while we're on greetings and other such salutations, let us congratulate Paulo on his 4000th post!