Very SERIOUS tuning and tone problems!!!

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
willo

Very SERIOUS tuning and tone problems!!!

Post by willo »

Recently, I was doing some recording in my studio, and thus, had just put my V on an existing keyboard stand.
I was really starting to get worried about the health of the V Synth, as some of the oscillators seemed to be drifting erratically. Different amounts on different patches. The timbre of the sounds seemed to be fluctuating and unpredictable as well.

I was thinking the thing had some serious problems and was ready to ship it off somewhere (I live way up in some remote mountains)

I finally tracked down the problem:
I had a piece of gear on the next tier of my keyboard stand. There was a bit of fabric (used as a dust cover), draped over that gear, hanging down a bit. It was in close enough proximity to the D Beam sensors, that it was affecting whatever the D Beams were programmed to modulate.

What a relief.

Don't get me wrong - I am a big fan of Roland's D Beam technology. I've owned a couple of Roland Handsonics and often use the D Beam as a live performance tool, this issue on my V Synth really kicked my ass.

Just putting it out there...

I really wish there was a simple, GLOBAL way to just disable it when I want. Still looking into that.

w

;0)
PauloF

Re: Very SERIOUS tuning and tone problems!!!

Post by PauloF »

willo wrote:Recently, I was doing some recording in my studio, and thus, had just put my V on an existing keyboard stand.
I was really starting to get worried about the health of the V Synth, as some of the oscillators seemed to be drifting erratically. Different amounts on different patches. The timbre of the sounds seemed to be fluctuating and unpredictable as well.

I was thinking the thing had some serious problems and was ready to ship it off somewhere (I live way up in some remote mountains)

I finally tracked down the problem:
I had a piece of gear on the next tier of my keyboard stand. There was a bit of fabric (used as a dust cover), draped over that gear, hanging down a bit. It was in close enough proximity to the D Beam sensors, that it was affecting whatever the D Beams were programmed to modulate.

What a relief.

Don't get me wrong - I am a big fan of Roland's D Beam technology. I've owned a couple of Roland Handsonics and often use the D Beam as a live performance tool, this issue on my V Synth really kicked my ass.

Just putting it out there...

I really wish there was a simple, GLOBAL way to just disable it when I want. Still looking into that.

w

;0)
At least you know that the good old D-Beam still works (well...too much, in this case) :-)
willo

Re: Very SERIOUS tuning and tone problems!!!

Post by willo »

for a moment I thought I was in serious trouble. I live about 10 hours from any place which could service it...