Multitimbral Drum Patches vs Rhythm Kits on XT

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
doggyaugie17

Multitimbral Drum Patches vs Rhythm Kits on XT

Post by doggyaugie17 »

Hi all,

I've been reading this forum for a while but only registered recently. I've had an XT for quite some time but have only really used it as a VA or as a sample slicer (where I play back slices as events either in a different order or apply pitch or time tweaks using step modulator). But now I'm trying to use it as a more traditional sampler for drums (I know it wasn't meant for pitched multisampled instruments). I've sampled ~240 one-shot drums and was wondering the best way to have them all available for playing, similar to having multiple rhythm patches on different parts/channels in a performance in my XV-3080. Please note I don't care about drum kits. For example, in my XV I have 1-2 parts/channels contain all the kicks, followed by all the snares, etc. I make my own kits with my drum pad controller. So I can think of two ways to do this:

A) I set up all 4 rhythm kits to hold 244 (61*4) drum sounds. But, I can only use one rhythm kit at a time multitimbrally, right? So I wouldn't have access to 3/4 of the drums I've sampled.

B) I set up 16 drum patches, each with 15-16 single-note zones, with each zone set to one drum sound. The zones and part midi settings will be such that no patch will overlap with another unless they are responding to different MIDI channels. For instance, the first 8 patches will cover the 127 note MIDI keyboard and second 8 patches will cover the same ground, but the first 8 parts respond to channel 1 and the second 8 parts respond to channel 2. This is more similar to a bunch of drum patches in a performance, but each patch can only contain 16 notes.

I have started to implement A, but I wanted to be sure I can do what I want before I consume a lot of time programming. The XT's quirks and limitations with multitimbrality are new to me. Please know that since I want access to all these drums at the same time, I won't be playing more than a couple at a time so I don't care about polyphony limitations, and at least for this application, effects mean nothing to me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
doggy
doggyaugie17

Re: Multitimbral Drum Patches vs Rhythm Kits on XT

Post by doggyaugie17 »

Okay, I understand this is not what the V-Synth was designed for. Also, I have done extensive research in this forum and found the answer: to include 61 one-shots in one sample, with events at each transient. This way 61 keys can be mapped to as many drums using only a one-zone patch. However, in my attempts, I stumbled onto a question that I hope is more ripe for answering this time:

Is there any way to give Zone 1 a lower limit or Zone 16 an upper limit? In other words, do the 16 zones have to cover the whole keyboard? It seems like the answer is yes.

Thank you,
doggy