Is my V-Synth XT mic input broken? VC-2 problems.

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
scottkahn

Is my V-Synth XT mic input broken? VC-2 problems.

Post by scottkahn »

Hi XT users.

I just picked up what seemed to be an excellent condition XT. I have installed the 2.02 software, full factory reset, etc. V-Synth sounds and the D-50 VC-1 work perfectly.

I can't get the mic to work, and more troubling is that virtually none of the vocal designer patches make any sound when played, and I know some of them should just vocal pad sounds that don't require external manipulation.

Standard SM-58 into the mic input set to normal position.

I plugged a synth into the input on the rear and on some sounds, I can hear the external synth when I play on it. But again, mic doesn't seem to do anything, nor does my MIDI keyboard that generates sounds in the other operating modes.

So... how can I test this and be sure if it's working or not? It almost feels like if the VC-2 were actually a card installed in a secret, internal slot, I'd guess the card isn't plugged in. But I suspect it's on the logic board...

If you know some specific presets for VC-2 that should definitely generate sound when I simply play my MIDI controller, even that would be helpful in determining what's broken or not.

Thanks!
Scott
Hermax

Re: Is my V-Synth XT mic input broken? VC-2 problems.

Post by Hermax »

On the V-synth (keyboard version) It only works in one of the two input jacks. (keep forgetting which one, have to try it every time...)
Also, there is a mic/line switch on the back. Obviously you have to set in on mic.

For the patches that are supposed to make sound without mic input, don't go to quickly between them, it takes some seconds to initialize those patches (on my V-synth it is anyway)
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

scottkahn wrote:Hi XT users.

I just picked up what seemed to be an excellent condition XT. I have installed the 2.02 software, full factory reset, etc. V-Synth sounds and the D-50 VC-1 work perfectly.

I can't get the mic to work, and more troubling is that virtually none of the vocal designer patches make any sound when played, and I know some of them should just vocal pad sounds that don't require external manipulation.

Standard SM-58 into the mic input set to normal position.

I plugged a synth into the input on the rear and on some sounds, I can hear the external synth when I play on it. But again, mic doesn't seem to do anything, nor does my MIDI keyboard that generates sounds in the other operating modes.

So... how can I test this and be sure if it's working or not? It almost feels like if the VC-2 were actually a card installed in a secret, internal slot, I'd guess the card isn't plugged in. But I suspect it's on the logic board...

If you know some specific presets for VC-2 that should definitely generate sound when I simply play my MIDI controller, even that would be helpful in determining what's broken or not.

Thanks!
Scott
Hi Scott, welcome to the Clan!

Worth revising the whole Audio Settings to check for any strange settings, but I suggest to try some of the VC-2 patches showing Keyboard as the input method. There are a few of them there.

Those ones do not require the microphone and at least you test if the VC-2 can produce any sound at all

Tell us how it goes

Cheers,
PauloF
scottkahn

Post by scottkahn »

Should there be some kind of indicator on the display showing the presence of a mic signal? I wonder...
Ralvek

Post by Ralvek »

Hi!

Sorry to revive a dead thread, however Im having this exact issue with a used V-Synth XT. When I boot into VC-2 Vocal Designer I cannot get it to read any inputs or mic inputs. Ive tried multiple mics, multiple cables, tried the Mic input on front, tried the line inputs on back, changed nearly every setting, Reset to factory settings multiple times. Read the manual multiple times and it seems like it should be plug and play. Can anyone clarify please? Seems like this unit has bad inputs or the VC-2 is bugged. Also if it is a busted input, is there anywhere I can send it to for repair? Thanks!
Ralvek

Post by Ralvek »

After testing of the internal components, I discovered the problem to be preamp was damaged on the internal pcb labeled "Mic Board". It took a couple months but I managed to source a new pcb and replace it myself, I officially have the VC-2 vocoders working now! yay! So if you experience the vocoders not getting any mic signal, chances are your preamp was damaged.
xriou

Post by xriou »

: Ralvek

Hello

Where did you get your new mic bord for Roland V-Synth XT ?
The board is discontinued and not available anymore from Roland.
Thanks

I tried eBay or any other website selling synth parts...

I will try to fix it by myself if the whole board is not available...
Thank you
Xavier