How to use the TT-Pad?

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
daX6fantom

How to use the TT-Pad?

Post by daX6fantom »

Does anyone have any good tips or know any good tutorials on using the TT-Pad to end up with something useful?

I've been having a go at it but have so far been unable to get anything even remotely musical while using it.

I was surprised because I don't mind glitchy crazy stuff, and I'd be happy to get an industrial/hip-hop/dubstep-ish sound, I just can't get anything that doesn't sound crap IMO.

I just don't feel like I have much control with it, like it's scanning too fast along the wave and sounds too metallic. Phrases that I'd like to scan through slowly seem to blip by much too fast. I'd like to be able to scan like when you turn the "time" setting to scan through slowly, like granular synthesis. Is there a setting for the sensitivity anywhere?

I'm using a V-Synth GT BTW.

Thanks!!
cello

Re: How to use the TT-Pad?

Post by cello »

I use it sparingly but with results that I like.

You can't adjust sensitivity but you can adjust what it does - press the system button then click on the controller tab at the bottom of the screen. Then select TimeTrip pad and you can edit the CCs it uses. Adjust to taste :)

(I'm using the same gear as you)
daX6fantom

Post by daX6fantom »

Thanks cello,

Sorry, I should have been specific about what I was asking. I was aware that I can make it control modulation, and the XY control would surely be good for that.

I was hoping there was some way to get satisfying scratching sounds from it.

Do you ever use it for scratching, or only to control modulation?
LA Keys

Post by LA Keys »

I don't think the TT-pad could be used for scratching.
This is simply because the pad will 'walk thru' the sound without changing the pitch itself. IMHO you then miss one of the fundamental effect of scratching.... (but then I'm far for being an expert at scratching)

LA
daX6fantom

Post by daX6fantom »

Yeah, I guess I didn't mean real scratching where the pitch changes like on a record, I meant timestretch scratching. I just can't get anything useful out of it, it scans over the waveform too quickly IMO.

Anyway, if anyone has a good example of using the TT-Pad on a sound, I'd love to hear it.