Anyone want a V-Synth Editor?

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
bakerysauce

Anyone want a V-Synth Editor?

Post by bakerysauce »

Hey, I just want to gage interest if anyone has a need for a standalone original VSynth editor for macOS?

I haven't really seen a nicely laid out V-Synth editor (and why would I, its only 15 years old... /sarcasm).

I'm a software developer with an unhealthy synthesizer addiction and I love sample mangling.
I have an original V-Synth and it really irked me that the PCM sample "Start Offset" wasn't a modulation destination. I can do this on my Korg ESX and my Kurzweil K2600, and I can make those two glitch really nicely. What I do is turn on an arpeggiator, lock to a tempo, and use some NRPN's to modulate the sample start parameters and constantly re-trigger the sample with the arp, but locked to the tempo. so you can get extremely wild results. Its not transwave or anything, but pretty cool. Like Transformers sounds.

Anyways, it bothered me that I couldn't do that particular trick on the V-Synth, so I wired up a virtual knob on the mac, and linked it to the sysex of the "Start Offset" in the V-Synth and voila, I'm able to do the same weird stuff I can do on a couple other units I have.

Cool. But I started thinking... It was pretty easy to wire up (~an hour including figuring out what the hell I was doing), and I wanted to get the reactions of some other users, and see if there is a need for a full-on, real time editor. The screen is currently damn easy to navigate and I'm not sure how much use it would actually get? But if you wanted real time control over a particular parameter like I did, maybe this is something you might want...

I'd make the project open source, so whoever can check it out or contribute on GitHub, and have a compiled version on there so you could just download it without any computer know-how. I don't know how long it would take to get ALLLLL the features, but I could have a few pages of parameters up in a month or so... Oscillators, Mod, TVA... donations always accepted, and they keep coffee in my mug... I just wouldn't be selling it.

I figured I'd ask here and see if anyone actually WANTED it, rather than me waste my time and build it for no one... I got it to do what I wanted haha.

Thanks!
Audio Logic

Re: Anyone want a V-Synth Editor?

Post by Audio Logic »

Hello, I have a v-synt XT and i am interested to in your project
Regards
jfinstad

Post by jfinstad »

I'd be interested as well - I also have V-Synth XT.

Jamie
talos

Post by talos »

+1 also have XT
Dark_Element

Post by Dark_Element »

+1 V-Synth XT
Cavestudio

Post by Cavestudio »

Great! +1
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Hello Mr. bakerysauce,

I have a Roland V-Synth, It would be ideal to use it on a tablet and connect it to v-synth, your V-Editor works on IOS & android or just on pc ?
skinmechanic

Post by skinmechanic »

Yes please!
tksense

Post by tksense »

+1 Yes please!

I have an XT. I've only ever been using Reaper's JS to send individual sysex for real-time control from my DAW.

I've always wanted a full-blown editor with an interface and all its functions, thinking one day - when I learn how to program. (that includes the editor reading a patch dump. V-Synth's dump consists of thousands of bytes divided among many modules, it seems)

Please let me know if I can volunteer to help in any way and learn something in the process.

Thanks!
Digital Rust

Post by Digital Rust »

+1

Have you looked into doing this with CTRLR? http://ctrlr.org
Iceman777

Post by Iceman777 »

YES! Now that would be truly awesome! :)
MariaKrone

Post by MariaKrone »

OMG !
Yes please !
Dubplate

Post by Dubplate »

Dear bakerysauce,
absolutely support, That would be just great !!
robbie50

Post by robbie50 »

yezzzzzzzzzzzz
I have a V synt. GT and also want an Editor!

rob
Monib

Post by Monib »

+1, thatvwould make life so much easier. Especially if you can send and recieve patches from DAW. Thanks in advanced