MC-808 movie

Forum for MC-808
mike acosta

Re: MC-808 movie

Post by mike acosta »

Hey Orahim

Yeah you can connect any midi keyboard to it and play away.

No it does not have audio tracks like the Fantom X

BUT

It does support up to 1 gb Compact Flash and up to 512 RAM which is way more sample time and storage over the MC-909.

www.rolandus.com
Check out : MV-8000 , MC-808 , MC-909 , SP-606 , SP-404 , Fantom X ver.2 , SH-201 , V Synth & Juno -G
Orahim

Post by Orahim »

Thanks Mike. Lastly, is the MC-808 going to hit the stores by late April as planned, or are we looking at a later release? I love Roland products and have been going back and forth on buying a Fantom X6 or a MV 8000. I'm leaning toward the Fantom, but this 808 would be a great add-on to the studio (after I pick up the Fantom). Thanks Mike.
mike acosta

Post by mike acosta »

I think late April / early May.

www.rolandus.com
Check out : MV-8000 , MC-808 , MC-909 , SP-606 , SP-404 , Fantom X ver.2 , SH-201 , V Synth & Juno -G
thunderkyss

Post by thunderkyss »

Hey Mike....... it sounds like the MC-808 is more of an alternative to the MC-909......... is the 909 still going to be in production??

FantomX8
FantomS
AW4416
Now all I need is talent.
Anyone selling any talent??
member # 55
registered 21 May 2003
tundrkys98@yahoo.com Yahoo messenger: tundrkys98
ultraphenomena

Post by ultraphenomena »

Is there a new file system on the MC-808 or will it be the same as the MC-909?
Will there be an MPC-like "save all" feature that the MC-909 lacked?
Will you be able to directly load samples (*.wav)? Or will you have to copy them to the flash card, then load them?
Will you be able to preview samples from the CF card?
mike acosta

Post by mike acosta »

Hey Thunder

Yes its a more affordable alternative to the MC-909 with some upgraded features and a stream-lined interface.

Ultra

You save a pattern like normal and you have to save samples / patchs. Samples load into RAM and can be stored on the compact flash. Yes you can preview samples on the compact flash card.

www.rolandus.com
ruahe007

hows it

Post by ruahe007 »

hey mike first all, big ups to ya informative vid's on the products..
im putting togeather my own studio, at the moment i have a few items like vs 2000 and the fantom x8, im into hip hop and rnb, im interested in the mc 808, how can i use this particular product to my advantage, meaning do i really need it...........is the fantom x8 able to produce the capabilities as the mc 808, like with sampling and fat beats............
can i get a help bra!!!
how do i go about capturing the same sound quility like on the new jammie fow album, have i got the gear to do it?
mike acosta

Post by mike acosta »

Sup Ruahe

Man your pretty much straight right now with what you got BUT like i always say everybody has a different method of working.

Some guys rock the MV-8000 and Fantom X , why ? because they love the feel of the sequencer , the sound of the sample engine and pads on the MV. Its way different than the Fantom's sample engine and the workflow is different , some say its more organic on the MV so they play all the sounds from the Fantom ( which has a nice feel on the playing action of the keys ) and then sequence and sample everything on the MV-8000.

So could you rock a MC-808 , sure ! I would say once it hits the stores take some time with it , maybe take a little cd player or ipod with you to the store and sample some drums from your ipod or mini portable cd player , ( just load the ipod or burn a cd with some raw drum samples ).

Then try out the sequencer on the MC-808 and take a listen to its sounds and how some drum samples sound on it. Its really up to you and what your taste it.

Do you really need a MC-808 ? No not really , you could bang out some heat with the Fantom X8 ( use the pads on the X8 to program your drums ) and track everything into the VS2000.

I would suggest this : Why not invest in some SRX expansion boards for your X8 ..... For hip hop check out :

SRX 08 Platinum Traxx
SRX 05 Supreme Dance
SRX 09 World Collection

those 3 are a must for hip hop n RnB

After that if you wanna save up some scrilla , then go and cop a MV-8000 to put the icing on that studio cake man. :) haha

Hope that helps !

www.rolandus.com
ruahe007

sweetaz

Post by ruahe007 »

yo mike, thanks heaps bro, thank ya so much for the helpful tips, sure made my day, especially making me aware that i can rock a show with what i got.
Im gonna get those expansions and hook up the mv8000 to keep things tight.......................cheers bro
bhenry1790

mc 808 or...

Post by bhenry1790 »

I'm really interested in the 808 because of the sampling / sequencing, but the Fantom xA has a lot of the same samp / seq features with more of a focus on the sounds.

I love my old Roland js-30, so I'm leaning toward the 808, but that Fantom is looking pretty nice. The Fantom does not have "TR" sequencer, but I could use Reason for that. I am torn...

My Current Setup:
Roland JP-8000 <- Love my baby
Roland JS-30 <- Old School
Akai s3000xl <- Selling for new Roland
Alesis Qs <- Selling for new Roland
Laptop <- Reason

Will be making: Pop / Elecro / Beats / NewWave / Noises (hobby)

Can I run in an external source (ie. Mic, or JP) and re-sample a whole sequence song along with the additional input? Pretty ghetto recording studio, can the 808 do that?

I know they send & receive midi, but can either the 808 or Fantom function as a USB Audio in/out for the computer?

Any comments or advice will be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks
mike acosta

Post by mike acosta »

Sup BHenry

Difference between the Fantom XA & MC-808 is the sound engine with the new WX chip on the 808 as well as the matrix controll and motorized faders for automation.

Both have different methods of working but can accomplish the same tasks. I think you need to weigh out the differences spec wise between the 2 and decide for yourself.

Yes the MC-808 CAN re-sample itself meaning you can resample a pattern as an audio phrase or loop. MV-8000 , Fantom X & XA & MC-909 can all do that.

Yes , the MC-808 can re-sample itself ( pattern ) AND also sample whatever is connected to the inputs ie: a mic or guitar all at the same time. Its called the MIX sample feature. The Fantom X has it.

The only products that can act as an Audio interface , streaming audio in & out of a computer thru USB is the V-Synth XT Rack , SH-201 & SP-606.

Keep rockin that JP-8000 its awesome !

Hope that helps !

www.rolandus.com
bhenry1790

Argh...

Post by bhenry1790 »

I'm still torn, they both look / sound badass.

What does the new WX chip do that makes it notable? Those faders look tight, but the xA has all those pearly keys (not that I play well)!

I like the idea of re sampling the whole song into a waveform, transferring it to the computer and burning a CD. It's cool that the xA & 808 can both do that.

Sat in front of an xA at the store and loved the sounds, but had some trouble figuring out the sequencer and drum buttons. I bet a few days with it and it'd be natural though.

With the 909 the sequencer is very intuitive and I hooked up a nice rhythm right away, I'm sure the 808 will be even more streamlined.

Grr... It's a tough choice!

Thanks for the info on the USB audio, I'm from the SCSI school of samplers. USB is a bit of a mystery to me, it seams like magic and I just think it can do anything!

Actually that sp-606 with the 24bit Audio Interface is lookin' pretty nice!