mc808 - new owner

Forum for MC-808
lifter

mc808 - new owner

Post by lifter »

Hi everyone,

This is my forst post here. I used to own R8MKII years ago and was very happy with it so I bougth the MC-808 to see what this baby can do. I'm prettyy happy with it except one odd problem, sequencer buttons are mixed up comparing to labels on case. I mean not buttons, they do what case label says, just those black overlayed icons on them. I don't want to return it back just because of that, but it is pretty ackward for live use. Is there a simple way to swap those rubber caps somehow. Strange problem from Roland :P. Probably speed of production to meet the deadline

Thanks
dank

weird...

Post by dank »

Hi,
Just want to comment that that is a big error to over look on the part of Roland getting the seq symbols on the buttons mixed up. If its not too much of a hassle, I'd swap it for another one. Btw...how are you liking the drum sounds on the mc808 compared to your R8mkII (nice drum machine)? How about the mc808's sounds?

Thanks! :)
lifter

Re: mc808 - new owner

Post by lifter »

Well I realised that those six buttons have one rubber cover for all of them and in production has been rotated by 180 so it's upside down. I don't mind for now.

Anyway about sounds. I hate most of the presets cause i'm not in that kind of music. But been playing today with mc-808 editor software and i can say that it rocks. It would be painfull to edit patches without it. I'm not sure yet if it exist but microlevel pattern editor would be great as well. Basically this machine is good pattern based sequencer with great rythm kits and sampler. Reason I bought it. I will probably overwrite most of the factory presets (or tweak most of them) and start building my own patches. Effects are not top class but very usable. Filters so so. Overall build is quality. For me is not gig out of the box but that's just a matter of taste.

Will post more later. For now I'm happy with it :)
chrismar

MC-808 sounds and patterns

Post by chrismar »

I think the hardware and engineering for the MC-808 is unquestionably great. The 1.2 million note sequencer, the sampler, the autosynchronous faders and the design are all awesome. But there are issues which need to be addressed with the application development.

It might not be a conspiracy to be missing so many important processes but I want to forewarn users what shortcomings will be encountered so that you do not make a leap based on faith like I did. Who wasn't excited to spend a thousand bucks to grab the goods, I got the first one that hit Taiwan after waiting 2 months on back-order at Sweetwater.

The USB connection adds the extra level to patch and sample refinement, but I don't understand why Roland would hold back and not allow digital audio via USB. As well, it would be a breeze to incorporate a decent software sequencer along side the editor but again Roland stops short. I picked up (Samplitude V8 LE) for $45 at www.magix.com

After only 3 weeks I have so many small issues with the 808 that I find it to be a major frustration. The manual is straight forward and at least I know that you have to cursor between position and note input making three steps to edit rather then two in step edit, that there is no Note Follow mode function for the arpeg and that the note key indicated when you are in step microscope mode,
These are such important features that I made attempts to call Roland Japan, after talking with Roland Product operating support.

There are some excellent patches and parts for sure. There are at least one usable 4 kick drums and a couple of good bass tones.

When using the D-Beam, you need to put it into filter mode to trigger the "solo synth" sound, I kid you not.

IF SOMEONE DISCOVERS HOW TO CREATE A NOTE FOLLOW ARPEG CUSTOMIZATION OR HOW TO STEP THROUGH AND EDIT IN STEP EDITTING WITHOUT CURSORING TWICE please WRITE AND LET EVERYONE ENJOY YOUR BRILLIANCE.

Chris
bio4ema

Re: mc808 - new owner

Post by bio4ema »

hey.

got my mc-808 yesterday.

i already knew that pattern programming is a bit tedious on this machine, so i was prepared for that. having used a similiar sequencer before it wasn't too hard to create the first few patterns.

what i find a bit odd is, that when you are in TR-REC mode everytime you set a step you hear the sound of the instrument when hitting the button, this can perhaps be turned off, but currently it does not help when programming beats...

also when you set steps you will only hear them in the following loop of the pattern, i.e. not in the loop in which you set them (is this supposed to be that way?)

all in all i'm happy with the unit for now, it sounds ok and i think the price you pay for it is fair.

the motorised faders are a bit loud, but oh well...

i don't like the d-beam, so i won't use it at all.

sorry chris, i don't use arpeg that often either, so i probably won't be able to help you with the note follow issue ;)

so long, b.