MC 808

Forum for MC-808
CRIZA

MC 808

Post by CRIZA »

I have already read through the manuels of the new 808, but I still have some questions ( I guess that some questions will never be answered until I have a physical encounter with it). Currently I own both the Korg Electribes SX and MX. I find myself using the SX more than the MX. I am going to write what I think the disavantages and advantages of using these products are. I am considering selling my Electribes for the 808. Based upon what I write I would like someone to tell me if the MC 808 would be a good "fit" for me and their reasons why?

Disavantages:
- Time stretch is very grainy at times
- Limited polyphony and mono synth parts
- Sample time
- Pads are not touch or velocity sensitive
- Difficult to make "realistic" patches without a keyboard or samples
Advantages:
- Sound quality
- Great to use live
- Great to tweak samples and incoming audio
- Mute groups for hihats
- Easy to do drum rolls
- Motion sequencing
- Easy to save patterns and songs to internal memory
- Easy to use and make quick beats
OneMB

Re: MC 808

Post by OneMB »

I’m just wondering
If someone compose a full song using MC-808 with the sliced .WAV or build in samples
Does the MC-808 save the full song into .WAV?

Or a song in MC-808 only contains repeating patterns?
Please help me
I’m confused

Does the MC-808 save all the construct patterns into .WAV loops?
Does the MC-808 capable to save the entire patterns into .WAV songs?
OneMB

Post by OneMB »

Does it record MIDI messages or Audio signal? [patterns]
Do I still need a sound card to record the song via dual TS Output?
Or I just can import the song via USB?

I really need some info right here

Edit:

yes you have to use the sound card to record it
it doesn't have a song recording capability to .wav files
usb just for import or export samples

it's a groovebox with no actual song recording capability
you just can construct song with combining patterns
you can't records full .wav song with this

you still have to use external DAW application
bio4ema

Post by bio4ema »

it's a groovebox with no actual song recording capability
you just can construct song with combining patterns
you can't records full .wav song with this

i consider that fairly normal, no?

it's not a hard-disk recorder or something it's a synthesizer and a sampler, i.e. an instrument...

I am considering selling my Electribes for the 808.

a friend of mine got a EMX and i've got a mc-808. they're both great machines from my point of view. (and also fairly different, especially soundwise)

it really depends what kind of music you want to produce, the korg sounds more 'raw and dirty' while the 808 has a 'cleaner' sound.
we mostly do minimal techno sets and both machines together really cover a great spectrum of the sounds we want by just using patches .
(apart from the sampling capabilities of the 808, which are pretty impressive if you update to 512 meg)

you mentioned something about "realistic" patches. in this category the 808 is definetely better than the electribes.

also you noted on the plus side for the electribes that it is Easy to use and make quick beats . that's very true and i really like the way korg implemented the sequencer.
the roland sequencer is a bit 'tedious' to use (i think there's another thread in the forum addressing this isue)

do you have a computer you could connect the 808 to via usb? it makes working with the 808 a lot easier and also more fun (apart from the fact that you can import samples from your computer...)

as i said, it would be easier to answer your questions if you could say what kind of music you're producing.

greetings, b.
CRIZA

Post by CRIZA »

Yes I do have a computer where I use sound forge 8 to edit my samples and Acid pro 6.0 as my daw. I make mostly hip-hop, r&b, and neo soul tracks. I use the Sx for samples and drums and the MX mostly for basslines and some instruments. I find myself using the SX more just because I can import any sound that I want and tweak it to my pleasing.
bio4ema

Post by bio4ema »

well for hip-hop, r&b, and neo soul i would say that 808 would be more useful than the electribes, but that's just my opinion ;)

as you said in your first post, you probably have to try it out to see if you like it, so i'd suggest just have a look at one if a store near you got an mc-808.