Need help creating drum kits with SRX01 waves

Forum for MC-808
CharliePlatnum

Need help creating drum kits with SRX01 waves

Post by CharliePlatnum »

OK, I got the SRX01 about a month ago....It isn't what I thought it would be, then again maybe it is and more. Meaning it only added 6-7 new drum kits to the rythm section...don't get me wrong, they sound TIGHT, but I expected more. Along with the 6-7 new kits, theres a about 800 new waves of all kind of kicks, snares, crashes, rimshots etc. form all different types of genre's. How do I create new drum kits with these waves??? Someone told me I'd have to edit the already existing kits with these waves. Please tell me this is not the way. I want to make drum kits without altering any of the existing kits, you know like in the user pattern section. Please help me out. Theres an area in the rythm section under "user" and "card" where you save samples that you have chopped, should I be creating kits here, if so, how do I assign the waves to the pads. I do have a manual, but it doesn't go into detail about creating rythms. Or maybe I'm missing something...
breakbeatah

Re: Need help creating drum kits with SRX01 waves

Post by breakbeatah »

resampling. chop, assign.
CharliePlatnum

Post by CharliePlatnum »

?????? resample a kickdrum ...for what reason??????. Can you even you chop a kick? I don't think you understand, these are waves that came with the SRX card I installed...not loops....just one shots... All I want to do is grab certain waves (one shot samples) from the wave section and put them onto the pads, thus creating a drum kit...... you know pad 1=kick pad 2=snare pad 3=clap etc.
breakbeatah

Post by breakbeatah »

right, you want to extract certain sounds from various kits and compile your own kit right? so ready up channels 9-16 with the sounds you want to use, sample, edit, assign, create rythm set. now apply that rhytm set to the channels you want to use. switch phrases. you'll have the specific set you want to use. its been more than two years since ive done this if i remember correctly.

*edit. you have to make a beat first for the drumkit you're aiming to use.
CharliePlatnum

Post by CharliePlatnum »

Not quite....I want to make a kit using the waves from the SRX01 card........you know, the little button under the volume knob that says waves, you press it and you can acces all of the waves in the 909. I press it, then I move the cursor to SRX and it brings up all of these drum sounds......I want to create a drum kit using these drum sounds, not the preset drum sounds...the drum sounds that are on the SRX01 card that I installed.......
breakbeatah

Post by breakbeatah »

yeah i don't follow. is this the first time you've loaded an SRX card?
CharliePlatnum

Post by CharliePlatnum »

yes this is my first SRX

Do you have the SRX01???? OK, so you know it comes with about 7 drumkits in the rythm section under SRX, it adds new preset patterns and it has about about 700 waves of drum sounds. These waves are all different types of drums and cymbols. I'm trying to put these waves together and create a drum kit....I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything....and I do appreciate you guys trying to help.....It's just frustrating to think I spent $200 for 7 drum kits, 600 preset patterns that I have no use for.....and 700 waves that I can't use. Somebody has got to know what I'm talking about!!!!!!!
breakbeatah

Post by breakbeatah »

I see your frustration mate! You're not coming as a smartass either. I find we're all good chaps as well =)

Check this out regarding your SRX upgrades:

1.) You'll notice new preset patterns - check!
2.) You've discovered new drumkits in the rhythm section - check!
3.) Have you scrolled through all the banks? for example A-G... That's usually where all the new SRX sounds are added, at the end for each Category. So for example, for Synths, there should be more sounds, for Bass, there should be more sounds, for Orchestra, there should be more sounds.

When you find those sounds you'll know how to apply them per channel. DOes that help? That's how the SRX chips work. Remember, scroll to the end of each list. luck!
Ill Collins

srx01

Post by Ill Collins »

yes i know what your talking about ....and the only way ive ever found to do it is to painstakeingly change previous kits one sound at a time.they are drums so you can load them in the L side and the will sound mono through both sides...i dont know why they recorded the drums in stereo....live drums arent exactly a stereo instrument. ......anyways i was hoping that in the the new OS upgrade that theyre apparently working on that perhaps they could properly load the patches for the SRX-01.....

Does this help?
Ill Collins

Post by Ill Collins »

Go to the srx card and select a kit "poppin"

Press the wave button located on the top left of the synthisis instrument panel below the volume knob.

then press the kick drum button .....it will show what sound has been loaded in the kick drum ....then change it to a new sound by scrolling through them.....

then press the next pad to the right so on so forth ....you must press the pad that corresponds the sound you want to change....

Then save the rythem set to your Smart media card
CharliePlatnum

Post by CharliePlatnum »

Tahnks!!!!!! BREAKBETAH I'll check those patch categories for new sounds, I thought it only added drum sounds, so I didn't bother to look in any of the patch categories.....
CharliePlatnum

Post by CharliePlatnum »

Yeah Ill, it helps me know that I'm not crazy lol !!!!!!!!! It's just sad when I bring up the wave section, and see all those drum waves under SRX, and to think I can't use them the way I want to, I'm stil luvin' the 909 though....I think I'll look into another SRX card, maybe Ultimate keys, or Platinum Tracks.
CharliePlatnum

Post by CharliePlatnum »

Now that's what I'm talkin'bout Ill Collins......so the edited kit will be saved to the card as a new kit, and the original "POPPIN" kit will remain the same right????
Ill Collins

Post by Ill Collins »

yes you can edit any sound or kit (poppin was just an example) and save it (and name it) to your card and it will be your own personal kit without writing over the presets or srx.....that is the nature of this machine....

You can edit the preset sounds the same way and save them to disk.....avoid useing the user space ...its a bit dodgey......
But thats what all the knobs and stuff are for on the left of the machine

Keep the srx 01 ......its badass

Apparently some other SRX are integrated with the 9er

Got-er Figured Chuck?
CharliePlatnum

Post by CharliePlatnum »

OK Ill thanks, I was just double checking before I start editing......FYI, I've fiddled around witht he synth section for a while, and I know what the knobs are for....I also know the full capabilities of this machine......that's why I value it so much. I own couple of other synths along with the 909......triton, MS2000br, EMU MK6...and a roland W30..I just couldn't figured out this SRX thing. I just printed your reply, and I will put it to work tonight. tahnks again.