MC-808-how to build new drum set

Forum for MC-808
MIND_OVER_GRAVITY

MC-808-how to build new drum set

Post by MIND_OVER_GRAVITY »

hello friends 'this is my first topic here 'hope to get a quick answer .... (-:
however after reading all the menual i didnt find any way to
load samples into individual keypad (like a drum set )
when im loading a new sample it always covers all the 16 keypads and the only thing that change is the pitch...
thanks
Doug Crazy

Re: MC-808-how to build new drum set

Post by Doug Crazy »

Mind. Bad news. The 808 does not load samples "per pad" so in other words You cant make a kit. If you use the PC software its possible but its time consuming.

Spiral posted the following. Good Luck

You can only do this through the editor software. Make sure you know how to get that working before going on to this.

1) Select "patch/sample" button on the 808
2) move the cursor on the 808 screen to where it says "PATCH" and change it to "RHYTHM". Change the UsrA001 or CrdA001 to a blank (ie. "init") patch
3) Link up with the software and you should see the track you selected on the 808 in the interface labeled as "INIT PATCH" w/ a category of "RHY (Rhythm Set)".
4) Click the edit button on that channel, in the software, to bring up a window
5) Click the "WAVE" category which brings up another window that says "Rhythm Key Wave". This shows you the 4 assignable sounds for the note that you are on (WMT1, WMT2 etc.)
6) Press the note you want to use (let's use the first pad which is B3) and the corresponding note will show in the upper right. alternatively you can change the note using the software interface.
7) Assuming you have drum samples on your card already loaded, select "Sample > Card" under the "Wave group" pulldown
8) Under "Wave number", drill down using the pulldown menu until you find the sample you want to assign to that note. If no samples show up, go into the Sample Edit area (same place where you do chopping etc.) and it will load all the samples in a list, then you can go back to your Rhythm Key Wave window and all the waves should be now listed.
9) Assign all the envelope parameters etc to whatever the selected wave/note is. You can assign 4 waves per note.
10) select the next note and repeat the above starting with 7.

Through the "Tune" feature and the fact that you can assign 4 different samples all with different envelopes to each note, you can actually create pretty complex sample sets, but it is VERY time consuming. The software could be streamlined significantly from a UI perspective which would save some time, but for now it is just cumbersome.

Post back if you are successful or if you need clarification.
ultraphenomena

Post by ultraphenomena »

yikes. Just to build a drum kit?
spiral

Post by spiral »

It probably isnt as bad as the description looks. I was just trying to be very descriptive so it is clear to everyone. Once you get going it isn't horrible, but it is worse than just making it on the MC-808.

One thing i learned that saves a ton of time is that you can copy the rhythm set pad settings for the first one to each additional pad, so all you have to do is get the first one set how you want and then copy it, select the next pad and then paste.

Edit > Copy > Rhythm Set Key
Edit > Paste > Rhythm Set Key

Then all you have to do for each pad is change the waveform. If you imported them in order, it should be a matter of just going down the menu to select the next wav.
MIND_OVER_GRAVITY

this is really a bad news cause i planed to use it mainly to build my own drum kits
but Doug Crazy/spiral i appreciate your help i will check it first thing on the morning ,i will let u know
by the way i thinks this is a "most have" feature
especially to this flexible kind of gear ,i hope that roland will do something about it...
Doug Crazy

Post by Doug Crazy »

I agree.... Roland dropped the ball when they didn't include this. But I have already been thru a big debate about this. The 808 is a cool unit, maybe they will include this in a future update.
MIND_OVER_GRAVITY

its actually not so hard like it seems ...
no problem to assign sounds via mc-808 software
when i started to assign, some of the sound had a strange
"ssssssss.." sound like with too much gain or too much high EQ ,tweaking the mastering section and the comp/eq
got me nothing ?!
any thought how to fix this ??
*by the way the problematic wavs seems to be fine in any other computer player.
thanks .