MC-808 and recording

Forum for MC-808
rickyrussell

MC-808 and recording

Post by rickyrussell »

I'm new to this forum but have found all the posts I've read really helpful for using my 808.

Please can anyone advise on the following:

I want to use the patterns I have written on my 808 in a recording (using Logic Pro). What is the best method of transmitting the information within the 808 into a software sequencer? Because I want to save having to re-program parts and I want to retain the sounds in the 808.

Also what is the best method for turning my 808 patterns into audio files?

Thanks,

Ricky
dr_boehm

Re: MC-808 and recording

Post by dr_boehm »

Hi ricky,

if you update your mc-808 to the newest version you can export a complete pattern as one SMF-File (Standard midi file) including all setup information as standard midi events in front of the note data. You can import smf files in nearly all sequencers and daw.

I would prefer this way but you can also set the output of each part to extern and set midi sync to slave mode on the 808 and then record the data in the sequencer. You should apply a littly quantization after reording (about 1/48) to fix out any timing issues.

Ciao, Dirk
rickyrussell

Post by rickyrussell »

Thank you kindly Dirk, just what I needed to know.

I take it that to update my mc-808 to the newest version, I simply need to download "MC-808 System Update Version 1.02" from the Roland site?

Cheers,

Ricky
dr_boehm

Post by dr_boehm »

Yes and follow the included instructions. Dont forget to backup all your data in the mc-808 or all your patterns and patches will be lost!!!

Ciao, Dirk
rickyrussell

Post by rickyrussell »

Cool thanks.

The mc-808 user memory is pretty large so I haven't yet needed a CompactFlash card. But having read the update instructions, I think I'll now need to get two cards: one to backup my existing patterns and patches, the other which it instructs must be "newly formatted" so I'm guessing this will have to be kept empty until I've completed the update.

Cheers,

Ricky
mrgappa

Post by mrgappa »

Hi guys,
Is there any possibility to SOLO (or do anything else) parts in SongMode in order to record each track separately in DAW?

I also want to get my song sequences into wave files track by track.
Thanks!

mrgappa
Adekoyote

Post by Adekoyote »

this is what I do:

I write for the MC808 using the DAW.

if I want to use it away from the DAW, realtime record the midi going INTO the MC808.

Once you have all that in the MC808 you can use the solo/mute functions

in terms of audio, just record it and check for latency.

this trick is that if you make 16 midi trax you can record layers from the mc808 by muting/unmuting the trax.
mrgappa

Post by mrgappa »

Sorry, but I didn`t get the idea...
So you are saying that you record midi data in DAW on separate tracks?

What DAW are you using? I`m using Kord D3200
Cheers`

mrgappa
DaniH

Post by DaniH »

You can record into your DAW, while in pattern mode, say track 1 only. Then track two, etc...using the solo/mute function so only a single part is playing.
mrgappa

Post by mrgappa »

...yes I know that, but I want to record tracks from "song mode".
I have put pattern sequence in song mode and I want to have song sequence recorded on my DAW not pattern.

If I use solo/mute function in song mode say for part 1, as soon as patern ends, and the next one starts, other parts unmute...

any other ideas?
DaniH

Post by DaniH »

I would say your best bet is to record tracks separately.
emphor

Post by emphor »

dr_boehm wrote:Hi ricky,

if you update your mc-808 to the newest version you can export a complete pattern as one SMF-File (Standard midi file) including all setup information as standard midi events in front of the note data. You can import smf files in nearly all sequencers and daw.

Ciao, Dirk
Thanks for the tip Dirk. I exported my programmed SMF into Logic, did some editing and imported back into the 808 and it has worked-out very well. Will use this workflow from now on.

Cheers, em