mc-808 and external midi keyboard

Forum for MC-808
freekmod

mc-808 and external midi keyboard

Post by freekmod »

Has anyone been successful in using a midi keyboard controller with the mc-808. I hooked up my EMU xboard 25 to it via midi cable. Followed the manuals instructions and even wrote Roland. There suggestion was that usb mode on the 808 had to be set to storage which I did. Still nothing. My xboard works fine with all my other equipment
dr_boehm

Re: mc-808 and external midi keyboard

Post by dr_boehm »

Hi freekmod,

i use the mc-808 everyday together with my Radias. The Radias works as a midi keyboard in this setting.

There are different situations that require your attention:

1) Only midi keyboard and mc-808

Connect Midi-out of the midi-keyboard with midi-in of the mc-808. Set USB-Mode to Storage (midi ports do not work when usb mode is set to midi) There is a parameter that routs all midi messages from the midi in to the selected part (i do not remember the name at the moment). Works without problems for me. One Point: Midi messages can be filtered in the 808. In System mode you can select which message types will be received and sended

2) Midi keyboard, editor software and mc-808

Now you have to set your usb mode to midi, otherwise the editor wont work. You have to specify your midi keyboard output as an midi - through input in the options setting of the editor software. With this, the editor will route your keyboards output to the usb midi input of the mc-808. Works without problems for me!

I wish you great success :-)

Ciao, Dirk.
freekmod

dr_boehm

Post by freekmod »

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately It still doesn't work(the xboard works fine directly connected to my Virus though). I just want to use the midi controller with the 808 (no computer) like it says in the manual. Two questions: What is the setting that routes all incoming midi to the parts? I've searched the manual and don't see any setting. When you're
switched to using the Radius' keyboard with the 808 do the pads on the 808 still trigger?
dr_boehm

Post by dr_boehm »

Hi freekmod,

i assume that you are connecting your keyboard midi out (5-pin-connector) to your mc-808 midi in (5-pin connector).
Here are the relevant settings of my mc-808:

USB Mode: STORAGE
USB-Midi Thru: Off
Tx Midi Soft-Thru: Off
Remote Kbd Sw: On (This route the midi to the selected part)

The pads are also working when playing with an external keyboard.

Hope that helps.

Ciao, Dirk.
freekmod

Got it

Post by freekmod »

dr_boehm
My Xboard 25 must have been faulty because I took my 808 to the local music store and hooked it up to a M-Audio controller and Bam!, works fine. Thank you for your support.
jernivil

xboard and mc808 ?

Post by jernivil »

hi guys
Freekmod, what s up for you with your xboard25???
because i juste bought a xb61 and it doesnt work directly with the mc808!?
help

also thanks dr boem :/
freekmod

EMU Xboard & MC808

Post by freekmod »

jernivil,

my xboard and mc808 work fine now (using standard midi cable and battery powered xboard). I contacted EMU support:

Please try the following:

Push the "Edit" button on the XBoard, then hit the "X1" key. Choose "MIDI" with the slider and hit "Enter." Choose "Out" with the slider and, again, hit "Enter."

The board is now set for MIDI out. Make sure the channel the XBoard is transmitting on is the channel that your sequencer is expecting to receive.

So there really was no problem with my xboard at all!
Hope this works for you.
jernivil

it works

Post by jernivil »

thanks for the reply
it works (grr) and it's great... Can t you hear my music now?

http://www.myspace.com/ruliodelavega

cheers
jay-em

Post by jay-em »

adding to this in case anybody ever reads in the future that is 2020 (not a classic year by any means) and beyond

if using 5 pin DIN midi and not midi over USB

if you have remote switch to OFF it will work in multi timbral mode, so all channels can be accessed at once either from daw or sequencer or kbd whatever

if remote switch is on then it will ONLY play the selected channel regardless how much midi is sent to it