possible improvement: computer keyboard in 808 editor

Forum for MC-808
TOTAL

possible improvement: computer keyboard in 808 editor

Post by TOTAL »

I have to admit that the concept of making deeper sound editing on the screen of my pc appeals to me very much, but there is one thing I would expect from every today's interface.

That is utilizing the computer keyboard to navigate through the settings.

Let's take the proces of changing waveforms of particular tones. Now you click on this little field next to the waveform name and get one drop-down menu and make your choice.

Ideally, after you select one waveform and until you move to the next parameter, CURSOR KEYS could lead you to the next or previous wave. Easy, not absorbing. Banal to implement.

This change would mean great workflow improvement.

What do you guys think?
DaniH

Re: possible improvement: computer keyboard in 808 editor

Post by DaniH »

tebeleza wrote:Is it possible to access an iPod Touch using a computer keyboard? I'd like to access my iPod Touch using a computer keyboard and mouse. Is there an easy way to do this?

This has to be the most random reply ever. As much as I want to just be an ass to you I won't lol. Why not just use itunes??

Sorry to deviate from the main topic but I like that idea. That is one thing I like about the MC-909 is the display. I really dislike the LCD on the MC-808
Adekoyote

Re: possible improvement: computer keyboard in 808 editor

Post by Adekoyote »

I do spend a great deal of time trying to figure out what the design engineers were thinking...from what I can gather, this unit is made to sit next to your desktop, laptop...which is okay...and you use the computer to develop patches in a more visual sense.

that being said, the software is really wacky...and now I have to buy a tweakbook, in order to use what is basically a VST equivalent of a front end to a hardware chip...and I can live with that(thanks to a two monitor setup) but there are alot of windows...which could probably be way better ordered.

basically I see it a futuristic relic in a good way. We take alot of things for granted...using ableton and vst things are quite instant and free....but the control of the groovebox is not to be f*cked with...it is like a big muscle car that needs a few upgrades to be linked into it...and its cheap...and not too many people stick with it. due to its cumbersome nature.

but there is a power that needs to be developed and repurposed in the box.

Those of us who choose to use it should share our discoveries...and have fun with it...the chip alone makes the box sound tough...but instead of immediately writing out my tracks with the box, I found myself studying it and the manual...trying to understand what EACH option for EACH button did...and it will probably be the same with the software editor(which has almost no help to speak of...)

It is a terrible job documentation wise...but you would have to use the box on a daily basis for years to properly show someone how to use it...and that is part of the charm...I guess...

anyhow...I will continue to work on my new tool and if I find ways to make it better or to boost its capabilities, I will post here.

The toughest part of the purchase was that I got an advance from my job, so I have to work really really hard and not get discouraged because I can't use it like I use ableton...

I have to accept it as a new operating system.

it is my first groovebox(after d-16 plugins, ableton , and geist)