How to copy patterns and all they rely on...

Forum for MC-808
TOTAL

How to copy patterns and all they rely on...

Post by TOTAL »

from one flash card to another?

I can think of at least 2 good reasons to do it:

1. to make a compilation of just playable stuff
2. to put aside "projects" which use a lot of heavy sampling material (causing long startup), but not lose them forever.

Has anyone tried that?

EDIT
The possible workaround of changing the FCard onstage to play different projects has to be excluded, because 100MB content slows down the startup to the 3.5 mins.
dr_boehm

Re: How to copy patterns and all they rely on...

Post by dr_boehm »

Hi TOTAL!!

Just copy all the folders. You can leave out the \TMP folder.

Before that you must take care, that all samples are stored on the card and all non roland sounds are also stored on the card.

Ciao, Dirk.
TOTAL

Post by TOTAL »

Hi Dirk

As long as you have one main card containing all the data, you can easily create extracts, ok.

Or if you do not use any imported samples.

But would it work if you had two or more cards for creating projects with different sets of imported samples?

I have two doubts:

1. sample names cannot remain unique - they are uniformized to smplxxxx.wav

This means that if you start a project on one card, its first imported sample gets a name

smpl0001.wav

If you then insert another card and start a project its first imported sample gets the a name

smpl0001.wav

Now if you later want these two projects on one card
the first written samples either have to be renamed or will be overwritten by the latter.

Illustration

backup from card 1
ptn0001.mcs
ptn0002.mcs

smpl0001.wav

backup from card 2
ptn0001.mcs
ptn0002.mcs

smpl0001.wav

Now, if you rename some samples, will they be found by the patterns which use them?

Hard to imagine...

2. grvb.svd file in SND folder

it seems to store information about all the Pattern -> patches -> ext. Samples(optionally) reference

Whether we overwrite or change the name of one of them, we lose playbility of the projects from card 1.

Can anyone follow?

Maybe I am wrong at some point?

T
dcer10

Post by dcer10 »

Im also interested in being able to extract data from one card and place it on another, but I agree that without some smarts on how to merge the info you might be left with ususable or unstable data.

A perfect example...

I have 1 card which I have written a bunch of my own drum kits on. The card has also now got a bunch of other less useful stuff on it (hundreds of programs and songs). I dont have any way to just get the drum programs off with their samples intact.

The solution im using which doesnt handle merging infor from multiple cards, but is a card management workflow which might be a bit messy for some people is this:

1) Copy original card (with drum programs - or whatever you want to save) on a computer
2) Place the contents of this card onto another blank card
3) Manually delete the prorgams/patterns on the new card that you dont want to use buy saving init program/init pattern etc over them.
4) Re save the programs you wanted to keep (ie drum programs) to where you would like them ie patch 001 etc.
5) Via the editor delete all unused samples manually (This can be hit and miss unless you write down the names of the used samples).

You could at this point now import more programs (non user sample based) using the librarian sofware, but im not sure on how to re create sample based programs from other cards without doing it manually.

This method is VERY time consuming if you have a lot of material but seems to be the only way to perform this action.

A more comprehensive editor/librarian that handled samples and dependencies would be very useful. But I wouldnt imagine we will be seeing one any time soon.