808 and 909 JOINT BUG REPORT: notes and fx CUT across patter

Forum for MC-808
SMUDGE

Re: 808 and 909 JOINT BUG REPORT: notes and fx CUT across pa

Post by SMUDGE »

Bojketa,
I have a 909 and I too wish there was more activity on the board regarding these machines, but they are legacy products now.
As such I use my 909 with other samplers. If I want to workaround the lack of sustain issue I sample the phrase into another machine and stop the MC after the bar, letting the note sustain naturally and keep sampling an extra beat or two. Then in my sampler/sequencer to compensate for what the 909 lacks I sequence the phrase on two tracks alternating every other one so the sustain of track one carries over when track two begins, and so on. Otherwise your best bet is to MIDI dump your phrase into another sequencer, keeping all your original tracks numbered identically, then slave the MC to your external sequencer and record your playback with the notes sustaining correctly since the MC is not doing the looping anymore and is merely a sound module.
Bojketa

Post by Bojketa »

I think I know what to do. I'll program several patterns as i would if I was going to use the song mode, but then I'm gonna copy each of those patterns to a new pattern one after another. So I'll have one long pattern composed of several shorter patterns. I tried to do that with three patterns and it seems to work fine, I hope there won't be any problems when I use more patterns. I guess it should be fine cos one pattern can have 999 beats, right?
SMUDGE

Post by SMUDGE »

I was under the impression that the sustain problem included switching between patterns (even identical ones), not just looping the same pattern. I will be happily surprised if you able to do this successfully.
Bojketa

Post by Bojketa »

Yes but I'm not looping it. I'm playing it start to finish :) I'm just copying other patterns to a new "song" pattern and then it's one longer pattern. As I said, it works so far, I hope it's gonna be ok for other longer "songs" and I don't hit the memory limit or something
SMUDGE

Post by SMUDGE »

That's awesome. I don't have an 808 but I might try that on the 909. I never use song mode and assemble anything I make on the 909 into larger projects on other machines.