808 and 909 JOINT BUG REPORT: notes and fx CUT across patter

Forum for MC-808
ginge73

Re: 808 and 909 JOINT BUG REPORT: notes and fx CUT across pa

Post by ginge73 »

I ain't no Sound Technology Graduate,but i found this problem too in the early days of the '307'.So from that moment on i programmed the patterns then multi-tracked each part with its own individual parameters into my 8-Track.For example;
The 'Rise Pad' with a long release time would not sound off when it switched pattern,but looping the one pattern only!, would result in the release sounding off and a smooth transition in to the loop ( in retrospect i could have assigned this to an RPS button,doh!).This also applied to the Reverb and MFX.Also writing the paramaters of each wave to match as it leaves then enters a new pattern. Am i telling u all how to suck eggs here or what? It worked for me anyhow.Love Ginge xx.
lhm1138

Post by lhm1138 »

" wow! freedom of speech! i'm lovin' it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_MC- ... ved_issues

does not exist any more!

some of you (total, as far as i remember and some others) have seen the link in place, it was real... i might have though i had been posting to wikipedia in a dream... "

Well, that's the sucky thing about Wiki. Anyone can come along and change it arbitrarily. You can go on the Wiki for Adolf Hitler and change it so it says he was an awesome guy who loved puppies and played the Oboe.

Just copy and paste it back into Wiki. Truth will out
lhm1138

Post by lhm1138 »

BTW someone changed the bug list on the 909 page too.

They removed the Track 6+13 bug, and changed the sustain issue so it says "some users" report of sustain issues.

No, it would be all users if you had everyone recreate the same experiment. I will be changing this.
lhm1138

Post by lhm1138 »

"Mail the guys who did the alternative MPC-1000 OS ;-) "

That's not a bad idea. But, wouldn't that require some cooperation from Roland's part?
dv1394

Post by dv1394 »

lhm1138:

the thing is those WIKI pages are obviously monitored by Roland.
so i don't see a point in this sandbox fight anymore.

it would be nice to organize an independent site for 808, where all the opinions can be briefly summarized, but isn't this site is the same thing? 8)
DeathRockNRoll

Work arounds

Post by DeathRockNRoll »

I have just started using the MC808.

Firstly this is a great machine. The sounds available are amazing and inspiring. The Sampler is great and I can set begin and end times on the machine without a computer. Ace.

The bug (described in this thread) however is a real pig. The problem I have is that a cymbal hit does not ring into the next pattern. This is a bit of an issue coz the sort of music I want to create requires open hats and cymbals and mainly at the end of bars.

Now I did read this thread before getting my machine so thanks guys who already posted. But I thought that I'd be ok to get around this problem if it was a problem for me by using one pattern for the entire song - coz 16 tracks are more then I need to do that. But although you can use other tracks as drums the other Drum tracks they don't have the punch of track 10 (Why is that? Can I change that? Does anyone know?)

Currently in order to get over this problem I am looking to use my BR8 to layer the patters and them mix them back together into one. Then the pattern timings aren't so regimented and I get over the cymbal ring problem. I don't mind doing this hugely coz I had this heads up from this thread and because I have the BR8 already and the MC808 is so very cool for me to write music on.

But this BUG is still really annoying and will limit the lifetime of this otherwise great product. Roland Get it Sorted!! I have been brand loyal and previously have bought one of your expensive electric drum kits as well (also a great product) but this bug is a show stopper for this unit. How can this be by design? What is the recommended workaround then? Why have the Song mode if you can't link patterns together in a realistic way?
dv1394

Post by dv1394 »

Hey DeathRockNRoll.

part 10 on your 808 is punchier cuz its routed thru COMP by default

select your part, press SHIFT+PAD13, scroll to Part Out Asgn page, and select COMP if you want that part to be routed through compressor
Re-Member

Post by Re-Member »

"part 10 on your 808 is punchier cuz its routed thru COMP by default "

I noticed this too, even when you initialize a pattern the Part routing settings stay the same. The best thing to do is create a default pattern and set up all the routing and FX settings, record one note then erase it (not delete it, otherwise it won't let you save the pattern), then save under the name INIT PATTERN. From there you can use that as the starting point for any pattern you want to work on and not have to deal with configuring all the Part settings.
DeathRockNRoll

Post by DeathRockNRoll »

Thanks guys that is really helpfull and exactly what I need.
DeathRockNRoll

Post by DeathRockNRoll »

Does anyone know if the MV8800 has this bug with loop boudaries too?
TOTAL

Post by TOTAL »

I don't think so, because mv's sequencer is not pattern based.
mdl76

Post by mdl76 »

So it looks like everyone has forgot about this issue? Roland wins i guess...
I just bought a 909 for $400 (steal eh?) and figured ill try the unit out.. if the bug bugs me... Ill just sell the unit and buy another rs7000. I had a 7000 before and it did not have this issue.

I plan to use 1 pattern for a whole song cause I do not play it live. we'll see what happens...

Man Roland... if you would just fix a few issues this box would be next to GOD.

Its like having a really hot girlfriend that won't put out... so much potential...
mdl76

Post by mdl76 »

From remix mag

"Every time the MC-909 moved from one pattern to the next, any notes being played were abruptly cut off — even if the subsequent pattern was the same as the previous one. Roland recognizes that this isn't quite perfect, but a work-around exists: If you make the first patch in a pattern the one that you'll be playing live, the glitch disappears — an odd quirk, but nothing that you can't plan around once you're aware of it."

does this make sense?

What is meant by
"if you make the first patch in a pattern the one that you'll be playing live" ?

I dont fully get it?
mdl76

Post by mdl76 »

Oh yah Roland.. don't forget your mission statement

Mission Statement

In addition to cool features and great sound, every Roland product is backed by an incredible team of folks here at Roland U.S. From industry-leading technical support and service, to multi-talented in-store clinicians and trainers, and friendly Customer Service representatives always willing and able to lend a hand and help customers, Roland offers services our competition can't match. Great products create Roland customers. Great people bring them back for life.
mdl76

Post by mdl76 »

I'm not trying to sound mean but

Thinking about it, this must be a very difficult issue and roland can not find a way of fixing this without investing a great deal of time into it. why else would they not fix a issue that would make their product look great?

Time = Money... that is the bottom line in the corporate world.

So it seems Roland does not want to put any $$ into this issue.