How to send songs to PC?

Forum for MC-808
Nomad85

How to send songs to PC?

Post by Nomad85 »

Hi,
I have an MC-808 version V1.01. I want to send complete songs I made to my computer to upload on a website. How is this done? I have not touched the sampling. The songs are made from patterns I made using the present patches that came with the 808. The instruction manual says there is a section to show how it is done, but only talks about uploading samples. Annoying...

I was told I could update the system to V1.03, but that I would have to backup my work, so I bought a compact flashcard to put the work I did. Now, according to the update instructions, I am supposed to reformat the CF card, which I don't understand. How can I back up the data when both the user and card memory need to be formatted or cleared? Where am I supposed to put this stuff temporarily? I don't like how Roland leaves their users guessing at everything. It is really annoying.

I would really appreciate help on this, thanks!
dr_boehm

Re: How to send songs to PC?

Post by dr_boehm »

Hi!

In principle there are 2 ways of getting your song to a pc:

1) connect mc-808 audio out to pc audio in and record that audio in wave and mp3 files with free software like audacity

2) resample the complete song on the mc-808. As a result you will have a huge sample in the ram that can be saved to the CF card. For that procedure you need to upgrade the ram to at least 128MB with memory chips (DIMMS).

You do not need to update your mc-808 to OS Version 1.03 for both ways of uploading songs to PC.

There is another way of uploading data to PC: you can save patterns to standard midi files on the mc-808 and transfer them to a PC for usage in a midi sequencer software. For that procedure you need to update your mc-808 to OS Version 1.03.

Please read the mc-808-faq for the update procedure.

By the way: It is a good idea to copy all content of a CF card to a free directory on your PC for making your backups safe even when the CF card fails.

Ciao, Dirk.
Nomad85

Post by Nomad85 »

Dirk,

Thanks! I got it to work out for me. Your fast and informative response is very much appreciated!
kwahoti

Post by kwahoti »

there is also a phone # in back of manual to talk directly to roland tec's..very helpfull....agree w/opinion ...Love the mc808 but manual and instruction on use suuuucks.they really fell far short ....kwahoti