Where do I start?

Forum for MC-808
Nicholas Jakola

Where do I start?

Post by Nicholas Jakola »

Im a new user and have no clue where I should begin. I have both MIDI in/out connected and usb. I get an unable to read/write data when i pull up the editor. I read about connections but the connections seem to be fine. Are there any good tutorials for beginners. Thanks
don123

Re: Where do I start?

Post by don123 »

u like me will find that the 808 dose not live up too its name , its flawed in so many ways , the bass is weak , its got potential if u scrap it and start a new,,, im telling u this only cuz i found out the hard way , its not good for much of anything , even as a controller it stinks , im sure some will dissagree , but im sure in time u will have wished u saved ur money and bought a fantom instead,,as far as help tho ,, well you will find out
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

I'm not sure it's possible to be any more pretentious and unhelpful in one sentence than that.

Here is a link to the MC-808 FAQ in the library.

http://www.rolandclan.com/media/22/MC-808_FAQ.html

"The best place to start is at the beginning."
dr_boehm

Post by dr_boehm »

Hi Nicholas,

i do not know from where you start (musical and technical), so here are some more general hints and tips:

1) Search for mc-808 on youtube. Several people have given some demo. Explicitly look for vanderson to see what can be done, other some guys are showing simple workflows.

2) In the manual there are different recording workflows given, e.g. step recording, realtime recording. Go through them step by step. The manual is not very good but most of the information is in. So take the time and read it. It will give you some good background.

3) If you are interested in creating your own sounds the best reference it artmiys "Fantom Tweak book". Since synth engines are pretty close you can use most of the information. This book assumes that you already have some experience with sound programming.

4) If you understand german, please ask, cause there is a tutoral in german language by a guy called Michel Pougin.

5) Just start and make a simple pattern. Ask questions in this forum if you cannot find them already in the forum or in the mc-808-faq in this section.

MC-808 is not totally crap but you need some time to get used to it. Once this has happened the workflows are fast and easy (with a few exceptions like importing samples)

If you want real good basses just sample them or make your own patches. I do not like the bass patches too, so i sampled some analog synths for basses and voila!

Most important: Setup editor software and do regular backups to your computer.

Bye, Dirk.
don123

Post by don123 »

ok ok maybe i was being harsh , i did make some awsome songs,,(house\techno ) on the 808 , but when you do get use to it , you will find , u want harder bass , or more ambiet sounds , its good ,but not great , i just wish i baught a fantom instead , the 808 dose have its perks and once u do get use to it , its soo simple to put songs on it and make em ,,, i even use it to write music for my band , but once again , once u learn it , u will find urself wanting more,,, i guess if the 808 had an expasion like the phantoms and juno stage,, i would be very happy with it ,
nforum

Post by nforum »

Ok thanks everyone for ur help. I will take all of it into consideration and see what happens.