Creating MC-808 Drumkits with FL Studio

Forum for MC-808
omannpro_

Creating MC-808 Drumkits with FL Studio

Post by omannpro_ »

After a lot of work trying different ways to get my drum sounds into my mc-808
I have discovered a fun and easy way to get the job done, Using FL Studio.

Follow these steps:

1. After opening FL Studio, set the step sequencer to 16 beats and set tempo to 70bpm.

2. If your drums are in the FL Studio directory you can drag and drop them to the sequencer. if not move on to step three.

3. Set up 16 sampler tracks in the sequencer. then right click on each sampler sound indicator and select load sample......

4. When all samples are selected, go to the first sound track on your sequencer and click the first tab(so the tab turns white), go to the next track and light the tab that indicates beat 2. (4 tabs represent 1 beat so this will be on the fifth tab in the second row).

5. After you have all sounds highlighted, play the sequence back. 1 sound should play on every beat of the 16 beat sequence.

6. select file, export, wave file, when the box comes up select cut remainder in the drop down box and render the file to the tmp folder on the mc-808 flash card.

7. Once you load the sound file you can chop into 16 pieces using (divide x) and save as rhythm kit.

Video coming soon............

any questions, or clarification contact,
wtoates@hotmail.com
Chris McC

Re: Creating MC-808 Drumkits with FL Studio

Post by Chris McC »

hehe the 808 should come with its own extra manual of 'workarounds'.

I was going to post a thread asking the quickest way of firing beats in to the 808.

My approach was going to be this:
- Hook the macbook up to the line in L/R on the 808.
- Fire up a sample playback app on the mac and load in a break/beat
- Set the 808 to autochop and auto triggered sampling with a low threshhold for starting to sample, make sure autotrim is on
- Hit play on the mac
- The 808 should auto trigger sampling and then stop sampling when the break has finished
- It then chops and throws the hits across the pads (not sure how accurate this is yet)

I am assuming this is how it is supposed to work, but I haven't tried it yet (my ram only arrived this AM and the CF card is still en route £25 from amazon for the pair).

Can anyone read the above and let me know if this is a working method or where there are problems with it please? Dirk?
Jeruro

Post by Jeruro »

Video of the Two ways please!!! :P
Chris McC

Post by Chris McC »

my way of doing this does work and is a very quick way of getting a sample/beat/break in to the 808 but there is a noticeable loss of quality with the sample. This might be specific to my setup however as I seem to have a very high noise floor with the macbook connected to the sampling input on the 808. It's like there is electrical earth problem raising the noise levels... not got time to look in to that yet but I will :)

A better solution is:
connect the 808 to your pc/mac via usb then put the 808 in storage mode and access the CF card in finder/explorer and dump your samples in to the Roland/to_be_imported folder.

Then just hit 'import' on the 808 and your samples are there ready for importing. No loss of quality.

I find this is actually better as you can audition stacks of samples in your sample library using whatever tool you want, then dump samples you like in to a single folder ready for copying across to the 808.

For the limited sampler functions you get not doing sample editing via usb on the pc/mac, I think the 808 is very well thought out and should be enough for most people. Only if you are going to make multisample sample parts etc would you really need to get in to the usb sample editing.

I'm glad I never read this forum before I bought my 808 as I would have probably overlooked it with the negative comments by some people on here. I think it's a fantastic bit of kit if you put the time in to learn its functions.