Noisy 808 - Help

Forum for MC-808
Chris McC

Noisy 808 - Help

Post by Chris McC »

I don't think I have one of the old power pack 808's which was noisy apparently, but when I am using mix-in I get a really high level of general hiss noise no matter what input source I use (mac/other synth/sampler/desk etc).

I can't route to the COMP as it just raises the noise level so much that the input becomes pointless.

I suspect it might be picking up general electronic interference from other machines, but I'm not sure how to solve it. I have had this problem on an old bit of Yamaha kit, but I just gave it away because it annoyed me so much.

I've tried applying the ferrite core (and a spare one) to the in/out leads but not really had any effect.
I'm going to try a shorter 'in' lead and going direct ot headphones instead of the desk but I'm starting to scratch my head a bit and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions please.

The 808 itself is deathly quiet if the mix-in is turned off, until I play a sound on it of course. So it is something to do with the signal path.

Help please :(

Chris
dr_boehm

Re: Noisy 808 - Help

Post by dr_boehm »

Hi Chris,

i do not have the manual with me. But first i would try to set the input to line signal. If that does not help, there could be something wrong with electricity. Take MC-808 to a different house connect it there switch mix in on and have a look if the noise is gone.

If its still there, no idea. I assume that you routed mix in to main outs and not to some efx which is adding the noise.

WHat kind of noise is it? Is it white noise? Is it 60Hz noise?

Ciao, Dirk.
boyaka2000

Post by boyaka2000 »

Get some electrical tape and cover the earth pin on the plug from the power pack, i.e. the biggest of the three pins that goes into the wall. Its an earthing issue.
Chris McC

Post by Chris McC »

It certainly sounds like one. I'll give it a whirl later on thanks
boyaka2000

Post by boyaka2000 »

You can try doing the same to the plugs for your speakers or amp too depending on what youre using. I had the same issue with a korg microX keyboard, I could 'hear' the DCO oscillating like a swoosh in the background noise... it didnt register in any recordings but it made monitoring anything near impossible and drove me crazy that it wasnt perfect... I tried everything like new power packs and stuff, but eventually a friend of mine who's a sound engineer jusy isolated all the earth plugs in my system with tape and it stopped it for good. Not sure why or how, but it did. Glad Ive just got my MV 8800 now though, no more issues of any kind!!!!