MC 808 not receiving notes from cubase 4

Forum for MC-808
chiefastronaut

MC 808 not receiving notes from cubase 4

Post by chiefastronaut »

Greetings,
This is my first post. I am having trouble getting the MC 808 to work with cubase. First of all it does not pick up the MIDI clock from cubase (not even start or stop messages). Second if I program notes into Cubase they do not play back on the 808.
I own an MC 303 and 505 and both of them (I am using a midi interface for all three MCs) receive MIDI clock from cubase and will record patterns into its sequencer, but using the same settings the MC 808 will not.
I have tried exporting SMF files to cubase and they do transfer but after editing the 808 does not play anything if I try to play those same files back into it. I can play the same files on the 303 and 505 created on the 808 but the 808 itself will not play them.
I have no problem syncing the 808 to the 303 or the 505 or even Ableton live (with crappy midi clock) on the same computer.
I am using cubase 4 with a Tapco midi interface; if anyone can help I would be grateful. Cheers
kwahoti

Re: MC 808 not receiving notes from cubase 4

Post by kwahoti »

am having trouble w/cubase too,,begining to suspect AI 4 is not a true stereo device,when I record,am recording only L channel yet stienburg program shows rec. in stereo. I have returned to recording w/audacity thru mic input set low 4 or less and output from 808 at notch 2.Maybe we can help each other,contact me if you find any useful info....kwahoti
chriss

Re: MC 808 not receiving notes from cubase 4

Post by chriss »

Hi Guys

This is also my first post - I've spent the last two days banging my head against the wall trying to get Cubase SX3 and my M-Audio Delta 1010lt soundcard to trigger my new MC-808.

Anyway - I've just sussed it!!!

I don't know if other versions of Cubase have this function - although I'm sure that they do. They might just be in a different place...?

In Cubase select the "Transport" tab at the top - the drop down menus

One of the options is "sync setup..."

In this menu highlight Midi Timecode make sure this is set to your main ASIO Driver - In my case Delta 1010LT MIDI

Then set "MIDI TIMECODE OUT" the same

And also "MIDI CLOCK DESTINATIONS"

Then at the bottom tick the two options "MIDI CLOCK FOLLOWS PROJECT POSITION" and also "ALWAYS SEND START MESSAGE"

MC-808 Sync can be set to either "Remote" or "Slave" both work

Hope that's of use to someone

Cheers

Chriss