smplxxxx.wav format - where is the 'real' sample name stored

Forum for MC-808
catch22

smplxxxx.wav format - where is the 'real' sample name stored

Post by catch22 »

I have read in the FAQ about naming samples in the format smplxxxx.wav so they can be added directly to the ROLAND folder. This works great but isn't so friendly where scrolling through hundreds of samples that are all called smplxxxx.

Is there a way (with software for the mac - sample manager for example) of retaining the original sample name and using the smplxxxx format at the same time? Is it embedded into the .wav file somehow?

When importing the official way (as it says in the manual) the name is retained so it must be stored somewhere...somehow?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: smplxxxx.wav format - where is the 'real' sample name st

Post by Artemiy »

Yes, the name is in the .wav file, inside it's header information. Someone could write software to show it as a list.
markxl1

Post by markxl1 »

i've imported 5 samples as the FAQ says but how bloody slow................
I've also renamed a sample smpl0006 and put it into the card/roland folder but i cannot rename and save over the sample in the 808 unless you want to use up a patch ( or can I? ). I can only imagine the hassle later on in organising and sample editing!

Some chap did an awesome job with the unofficial Korg ESX PC editor.
The people who put the 808 together are having a laugh at us.............

What is the latest and could someone post on this forum an easier way???

I couldn't find the german manual link on the internt.....
dr_boehm

Post by dr_boehm »

Hi,

i can remember that on mc909.org you can download a commandline exe program for converting the original wav file to roland format wav file with the name included.

Maybe that helps.

BTW, of cause you can rename a sample, e.g. in CSAM mode simply save the sample to same slot and give it a different name.

Bye, Dirk.
markxl1

Post by markxl1 »

cheers dirk.
I'll give it a go with the mc 909 link and try overwriting the sample slot when importing all from pc to card first ( i must have missed something
)

can't find mc 909 thing...spent all night rewriting mono samples to smplxxxx then renaming on top in the mc 808 (200 done, 200 to go...then maybe move them into groups before making patterns).

anyone want to swap conerted samples?

It would be great to find some 808/909 format samples to download or buy also