Write Button Not Working?

Forum for MC-808
translucencecs

Write Button Not Working?

Post by translucencecs »

Hi guys... Quick question...

I recently bought a 2nd hand Roland MC-808, and when I go to save patterns or patches, I press the "Write" button, as per the instruction manual, and nothing happens. At all. No display change, no warning, nothing. It CERTAINLY doesn't as for a name or location to save in and also does not save. I'm starting to get a horrible feeling about this, but not panicking yet.

Anyone know if I'm missing something here? Is it as simple as pressing the"Write" button and entering name/location (in which case is the "Write" button likely to be broken)? If not, am I supposed to unprotect memory or something?

I'd be eternally grateful to any MC-808 owners (or others) who may be able to help with this..!

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
dr_boehm

Re: Write Button Not Working?

Post by dr_boehm »

Hi, you are right. Normally after pressing write it asks for name first and then location.

As you can protect complete sound banks from writing, try that:
- use write in patch mode on user and card
- use shift+write in patch mode on user and card to write a sample
- use write in pattern mode on user and card

Please report if any combintation works. Also try factory reset and have look for data protection settings in system mode.

Bye, Dirk.
translucencecs

Post by translucencecs »

Ok - thanks. It's definitely a faulty button. Actually, two or three of the effects buttons next to it are also non-functional.

I actually (carefully) opened it up and had a very quick look, and it seems that a previous owner spilled coffee on it - specifically in that area. So I THINK it's probably just three or four faulty buttons.

Anyone happen to know of anyone good and/or relatively low-cost in London, UK who could repair this? I need to see if I can get a quote before I decide whether to return it for a refund..!
dr_boehm

Post by dr_boehm »

Hi,

you might need the roland MC-808 service manual. If so, please look at

http://www.synfo.nl/servicemanuals/Rola ... _NOTES.pdf

Bye, Dirk.