MC808 Sys exclusive messages

Forum for MC-808
MC808ter

MC808 Sys exclusive messages

Post by MC808ter »

Hi Clan.

having problems with a secondhand MC808,basically the write switch is non functional,I have the service manual and did a switch test and the Write button is not working at all,I have spoken to Roland UK and the parts are cheap to buy but I'm not too confident with the repairs myself,so I'm unable to write any original patterns/Songs I make myself,and don't really want to pay costly repair engineers to fix it,as I have wondered if there is a possible solution around it.

I wondered if its at all possible to send a System exclusive message from an external device to the MC808 which would force it into "Write" mode so that the write option was displayed on the screen,this would allow me to actually put the MC808 into write mode and actually be able to save the Data I made,does anyone know the System exclusive String for this operation so i could try it and see if it works rather than having to try and repair it and risk further problems,simply using an external device to act as the "Write" switch for the 808 By Sending the required message data to it from a novation Remote Zero I have.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
MC808ter

Re: MC808 Sys exclusive messages

Post by MC808ter »

Anyone???
DaniH

Post by DaniH »

It is not possible sorry. What is the problem with the "write" button?? If it is not functioning at all take it in to an authorized service rep to check it out. It may just be a loose connection. Might just need a little soldering. Mine was dropped and several buttons, 5-7, stopped working and that was what was wrong with mine.
MC808ter

Post by MC808ter »

Hi Dani

the write button doesn't respond,the same with a few of the other buttons(,mfx 2 mastering)these buttons I can get round not working by using the editor to access them,but without the write function I can't write my original patterns into the memory that I have created because its not responding so its a little frustrating at the moment,

I did buy the MC808 knowing it had these non functional buttons and was kind of hoping it may have been simply an easy repair/cleaning Job,I was hoping the write option could be accessed via an external controllor which I could use to insert the sys ex string and use this to force the MC to pull up the write options allowing me to still save the patterns.

I have ordered some new tact switches from Roland and shall remove the non working ones and solder the new ones so hopefully it will work once these have been replaced,i was hoping i didn't have to do this as failing this remedy I will have to resort to replacing the main Board,which is rather costly.