Editing My Patterns on PC?

Forum for MC-808
Swikity

Editing My Patterns on PC?

Post by Swikity »

How do I edit my patterns in a sound editor on my PC?
My 808 won't connect via USB, so I've been connecting my Flash card to a card reader and doing it that way.
When I look at the patterns, all I see are .MCS files. How can I turn these files into something that I can actually use on my PC?

Thanks! :)
DaniH

Re: Editing My Patterns on PC?

Post by DaniH »

What OS do you use?? There are now drivers for Windows 7 if that is the issue. http://www.rolandus.com/support/downloa ... d_v100.zip
Swikity

Post by Swikity »

No, that's not the problem, even when trying to use the Roland installer program and it asks me to plug in the 808 and turn it on, nothing happens. I'm guessing it's something wrong with either the USB cord or the 808s USB port.
cdog

Post by cdog »

Try a powered USB hub.
Swikity

Post by Swikity »

Ok I just tried it with an powered USB hub and what happened is interesting. When I plug the 808's USB cord into the hub, the hub powers off. If I unplug the 808, the hub powers back on.. This only happens when the plug is connected to the 808, also.
DaniH

Post by DaniH »

Try a factory reset??
Swikity

Post by Swikity »

No, it didn't work :(

I'm starting to wonder if the 808 was the right choice for me. Roland doesn't exactly have the greatest customer support and the active community is so small since it's a pretty old product. I really do appreciate you guys trying to help me out, though.

I usually make hip-hop instrumentals and I found the drum kits on the 808 pretty good but if I can't even connect to the PC due to some hardware malfunction, then there's really no point in continuing with the product. Anyone recommend any other products that would be good for creating hip-hop instrumentals?
Swikity

Post by Swikity »

Edit: I found a "fix". It may not be a fix for some people, but it certainly worked fine for me.

I simply plugged an axillary cord into my 808 in the "phones" slot, obviously with an adapter, and then plugged the other end into my "mic" slot in my PC. Then I just play the pattern on the 808 and record the incoming sound in Audacity. I then have my patterns on my PC and I can edit them to my own liking. :)
DaniH

Post by DaniH »

Were you trying to stream the sounds through the USB or just the patterns?? I am now confused. Anyway I always send the individual patterns through my soundcard dry and then edit the sound. I never read the manual deep enough to send files FROM the MC-808 to my pc. I think you can only export songs though, not sure.
Adekoyote

Post by Adekoyote »

I use ableton with the MC808 and I love it. DAW's aside, you need to understand that the MC808 has USB midi. It does not send audio through the usb. therefore depending on your soundcard setup(I had an audiophile and I switched to a berhinger bca2000.)

you need to connect the outputs into the soundcard with the appropriate cables and converters.

then you select a track in your DAW and set it to monitor the soundcards inputs. The soundcards inputs are receiving the audio signal from the mc808.

due to the ease of setup with midi usb, the mc808 is a real powerhouse in this regard.

That being said, the stand alone sequencer on the MC808 is one of its greatest faults in my opinion.

Just to be clear

the DAW is taking over the sequencer aspects of the MC808. the MC808 does not send audible audio information over the USB cable.

I hope that helps.