rps/arp/chord functions wth editor & midikeyboard

Forum for MC-808
chaooch

rps/arp/chord functions wth editor & midikeyboard

Post by chaooch »

Hi Everyone,

I have a question about using the editor with a midi keyboard.

In this configuration, the arp/chordmemory/rps functions don't work with the midi keyboard even though they work with the 808' pads.

I would like to know if anyone has already used these functions in this configuration?

I have also noticed in the editor, that the "note indicator" doesn't light up when I press a key of the midi keyboard.

Maybe this is normal, but I'd like to be sure.

Thanks!
Mystic38

Re: rps/arp/chord functions wth editor & midikeyboard

Post by Mystic38 »

go to the global settings, and select remote kbd sw = "on", then the arp will sound from an external controller..
chaooch

Post by chaooch »

You're right, but I would like to use the arp function with my keyboard and the software.
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

the FAQ covers simultaneous use of midi keyboard and editor..

Can i use an external midi keyboard with the MC-808?
Of cause you can. There are different situations that require your attention: •Only midi keyboard and MC-808: Connect Midi-out of the midi-keyboard with midi-in of the mc-808. Set USB-Mode to Storage (midi ports do not work when usb mode is set to midi). There is a parameter that routes all midi messages from the midi in to the selected part (i do not remember the name at the moment). Works without problems. One Point: Midi messages can be filtered in the 808. In System mode you can select which message types will be received and sended.
•Midi keyboard, editor software and MC-808: Now you have to set your usb mode to midi, otherwise the editor wont work. You have to specify your midi keyboard output as an midi - through input in the options setting of the editor software. With this, the editor will route your keyboards output to the usb midi input of the mc-808. Works without problems
chaooch

Post by chaooch »

Believe me, I've already read faq and forums from the beginning to the end. My midi steup on the keyboard, 808 and software is the good one. My keyboard works, but the arp and rps functions doesn't work with (but it works with the 808's pad). Maybe you could try on your own and tell me if it's a same on your side?
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

Sorry if I was appearing a little dense.. lol.

I set my controller to usb mode then used the editor to allow controller access via the midi through ports. and it certainly does what you say..ie it will not play arps via the keyboard... so setup is controller>usb>pc>editor>usb>mc-808 (usb-midi).

I think to go back to first principles.. the issue is using the editor, specifically setting the mc-808 to usb-midi, given that in usb-storage mode the controller can operate the arp. ? So the solution is to avoid usb-midi mode.

So, if you have extra (real) midi ports on your PC, you can connect the PC to the mc808 via midi (not usb-midi). In this case, change editor midi ports to reflect the physical midi ports and you can leave the mc-808 in usb-storage mode, and still run the editor. Then deal with connecting the controller... if its midi and you have midi thru then you are set, if its usb then you need something running on the pc to redirect the midi traffic to the mc808.

I don't have midi ports on this machine at the moment but given that a) the FAQ indicates editor works over midi in usb-storage mode, and b) we know that controller arps can operate then it should work, no?
chaooch

Post by chaooch »

It's a pretty good idea, but in my personal case it doesn't work :(

I've plugged the 808's midi ports in my soundcard and my keyboard, set the midiports in the editor as:
Input and output>soundcard/ through input>keyboard.

I've tried both usb midi and storage. Unfortunately the keyboard doesn't work at all. In this configuration the editor has also a very unstable behaviour.