Sample/Sound edting without a computer

Forum for MC-808
22tape

Sample/Sound edting without a computer

Post by 22tape »

Hey folks. I'm looking to buy an 808. I'd rather not use a computer to edit sounds/samples. I'm trying to figure out exactly what I can and cannot do without the computer.

In the Sound on Sound review they say "Unlike some software editors for hardware equipment which give you access to additional 'hidden' functions, the MC808's editor simply serves as an alternative interface, meaning that you won't lose out if you're not able to use it with a computer."

Then is this rather great FAQ it states that the sound and sample editing is only done on the computer: http://www.rolandclan.com/media/22/MC-8 ... #hardware7

Then Mike Acosta mentioned here that you needed a computer to chop samples "for now": viewtopic.php?f=18&t=13459&p=83077&hili ... dit#p83077

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.
Dr.No

Re: Sample/Sound edting without a computer

Post by Dr.No »

chop samples can make without computer, you need the last os version for mc808
22tape

Post by 22tape »

Thanks, Dr.No. How about basic sample editing-- trimming start and end points, and normalization etc. Can those be done without the computer?
Dr.No

Post by Dr.No »

yes, but not help you the two lines screen, only can see numeric values.
22tape

Post by 22tape »

great, thanks Dr.No!
funktree

Post by funktree »

I know I've done this long time back. I got me BCR2000 Behringer Midi controller and programmed the knobs of the most used parameters. I think I've done it via Sysex messages. The document about Sysex was available from roland.
http://www.roland.com/support/by_produc ... nuals/7921

But I have not done anything with samples. That needs to be done on frikin computer.