Play back recorded MIDI notes in DAW problem

Forum for MC-808
emphor

Play back recorded MIDI notes in DAW problem

Post by emphor »

Hi,

I have a head scratching issue playing back recorded MIDI notes in my DAW (I'm trialing Reaper). I'm not sure if this question belongs here, or in the Reaper forum but I need some help!

I have recorded MIDI notes as a live jam, meaning I use the channel mute buttons as required to drop sounds in and out and I've noticed in the recorded channel in Reaper it leaves a mark indicating a MIDI action (where I have 'activated' the mute button). Upon playback the channel mute buttons are also activated when the playhead reaches this signal/note/mark (see image attached) giving me a phasing effect when the MC-808 is set to Remote or Slave. It does not seem to have any affect when set to Master, the channel lights active, but no phasing occurs. I would prefer to use the machine in Remote or Slave as it also syncs with my analogue gear.

For the record, channels that are active at the start of the recording do no do this, it's only when I unmute(??) a particular channel.

Any suggestions?

Cheers, Matt
Attachments
Reaper screen shot.png
Reaper screen shot.png (52.6 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
DaniH

Re: Play back recorded MIDI notes in DAW problem

Post by DaniH »

Your mc-808 might be sending AND receiving those notes. If your hooked up to reaper via USB disable midi in and if you are using midi hookups unplug midi out of the MC-808. This was driving me crazy in FL Studio and Acid Pro.
emphor

Post by emphor »

Thanks for the reply Dani.

I've found if I record my MIDI notes into reaper and erase the notes in the corresponding channel on the 808 I do not get any overlap/phasing effect.

Within this is probably an answer or workflow I will have to use ... Just seems on reaper would record muting a channel as a MIDI event.
emphor

Post by emphor »

Playing back in 'Song' mode also bypasses the channel being muted/unmuted(?). This might be the answer.