MIDI command to set Note Number parameter, MC-808 / MC-505 / D2

Forum for MC-808
michaelsonbritt

MIDI command to set Note Number parameter, MC-808 / MC-505 / D2

Post by michaelsonbritt »

Is it possible to set the "Note Number" (pitch) internal parameter via MIDI commands? As described on page 67 of the MC-808 user manual. Also, is it possible to enter notes in the step sequencer, as per pressing the keyboard pads, via MIDI?

Specifically, I'm using a MIDI keyboard controller and want to define pitch values and chords on the keyboard while step sequencing. I could write a program to listen for NoteOn messages from the controller, then send appropriate "Note Number assign" messages to the sequencer (I'm a programmer), however it's not obvious whether this is possible, based on the MIDI implementation docs. The parameter address map doesn't seem to name it. Ideally, pressing a key would both set the pitch and also enter the note on the step sequencer, so I'm also looking for a MIDI command for that.

My specific device is the Roland D2 groovebox, which uses the sound engine of the MC-505. While the MC-808 is a different engine, and different MIDI implementation, maybe there is an equivalence in how this parameter is treated, or some other trick to use a keyboard controller. I'm open to hardware hacking and soldering if necessary too ...

Thank you for any help!
Michaelson Britt