Anyone with the new Intel iMac?

Forum for Apple Mac computers
Artemiy
Site Admin

Anyone with the new Intel iMac?

Post by Artemiy »

Hey all!

I've heard to many great things about the new iMacs, and I am saving up for one now. But also I read that there is some display problem (wrong colours and some random lines appearing under certain conditions), and that makes me put the purchase in question.

So is there anyone here with the new iMac? Any problems with it?

Thanks!

Artemiy.
digimage

My mother got lucky...

Post by digimage »

She got one of the last G5s.

I'd heard about the display problem as well.

One of the best sites about macs is www.macintouch.com
Definitely check them out, they have a full report on the new iMac and Laptop.

http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports ... index.html

Scott
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Anyone with the new Intel iMac?

Post by Artemiy »

Thanks a lot, will check that site out!
Jost

Post by Jost »

Here in Australia no-one is game enough yet as no software other then iDVD, iMovie and iTunes works. I will wait till around August before I place my order for the Laptop, nevertheless, its gonna be a rocket.

http://www.jostsauer.com
"When one is not expressing himself, he is not free." - Bruce Lee
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I think I'll be getting the new iMac maxed with the disk and RAM next month. I won't be using any special software with it yet, except for a new simple apps which shouldn't eat too much CPU/memory under Rosetta.

BTW, Jost, everybody rumours that in Summer they will be releasing an improved line of MacBooks with better SuperDrives and a 17" model.
2TIM316

Post by 2TIM316 »

Art - I'd be waiting to see what other Macs become "intel"ified. Right now it's only the iMac and the MacBook. What about the sucessor to the G5 and Mac Mini? Remember, the iMac is not too expandable when you want to get into adding extra drives, etc... Most pros who use Macs don't use iMacs they use G5s in the studio and Powerbooks on the road.

I'd wait and see what happens when Apple announces the next round of intel-based computers.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Tim, thanks, but Mini is not as powerful as I'd want, and a PowerMac is way to expensive and more than I need. iMac is a perfect solution for me, it's more a laptop than a desktop - small, sleek, and pretty powerful.

Also, apart from RAM and HDD I won't likely need anything expanded (at least even on my custom-built PC I only upgraded the memory, HDD and CD drive). And, again, with Linux you don't have to worry about CPU/RAM that much, even compared to OS X.
jrevenko

Post by jrevenko »

After 2 months using the mini, my conclusion is that its pretty, small, but way to slow (even put 512 mbs) at least with 10.x.Sold it (bored me)
The core duo is faster than the M series but draws a lot of battery:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/16/ ... age21.html

So my conclusion is: although its light ahead of powerpc platforms, wait for next generation bug fixed mac intel platform. (and also Microsoft Intel Platforms). Sure it'll be a cool,quick,voltage diet processor
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Thanks but no, sorry, I can't wait for the next generation, my 733MHz PC is begging to be retired!

As about power consumption - this matters for a laptop, but not for a desktop. Core Duo is a very good processor, and iMac consumes around 100 Wt in whole with it. I know that Conroe is on the way, but if every time you decide wait for the next thing which will be 10% faster, you will never buy a computer!
jrevenko

Post by jrevenko »

I read bad ! i thought u wanted a MacBook Pro.
And i disagree with u.This is not a minor upgrade: its a new technology of Intel being used with a a new technology of Apple. (Id let them at least release a second generation of drivers)
Its a lot a money to Beta Test their technology.
But its your money. For your benefit i hope im wrong!
Regards

p.s. just as reference i own a M750 processor.And on Saturdays i connect Yamaha Studio Manager (Motif Rack Es, 01v96v2 Mixer),Fantom XR, Alesis Photon X (as surface to Reason), cakewalk 9,Window Media Player 10, and IE6 web explorer (to download lyrics), and all this hardware and software working at a time and it works great.(Dont know if i couldve achieved that with the first generation of M processors or Drivers).
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I know it's a lot of money. But iMac is a great computer which will let me do many great things. According to real user reviews the new machine is very stable. Next generation drivers? For what? FreeBSD is native to x86, as is Linux which I'll be using mostly (OS X for specific musical apps only).

I heard the next iMac will look totally different. So, hey, this will be another beta product according to you! And you will suggest me to wait again. That will make around 12-18 months of wait in total...

Getting the point? Now or never ;-)
jrevenko

Post by jrevenko »

Buy a mac to run Linux?
That at least, sounds excentric ! :-)
Just kidding! (welll. not really...)
To resume.I love new technologies and to try them out but, i just say: if a company is making a major technology change in almost 30 years (and with this im not talking about the form, color of the case or ghz number on it), id wait for version 2 (and then id buy 2.1, 2.2,2.3, etc).
But thats my taste and experience.
And in "computer world" next generations are far more quicker than 6 months.

p.s: i heard and read great reviews about real Mini users too. Guess still theres a lot of the "subjective" 80's mac evangelists around (or their sons).
bassman

Post by bassman »

Art,

I know you mentioned that the Mini wasn't powerful enough, but there was a new announcement of new Intel Minis.

Check it out. May be of interest, maybe not.

Bassman
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

jrevenko:

As I know, Apple did many changes ever since their first 68k-based machine. They used to switch to PowerPC, then from OS 9 to OS X, and now to Intel.

As about Linux, I know it may sound strange as OS X a UNIX system too and it's very user-friendly, but after almost 4 years in working with Linux there are way too many specifics in it that I rely onto. One of them is AMS modular synth with my own plugins, other is multiple desktops, and my favourite code editor, to name just a few. Plus Linux runs faster than OS X, it's a well-known and well-benchmarked fact. It never breaks compatibility with too old systems, it works the same on all architectures. Plus it's free and I am part of the development community...

bassman:

Yeah saw that yesterday. You see, I am looking at my new computer from the point of a laptop. So Mini is not an option for me - I'd need a display for it, then a mouse and a keyboard, and again these wires everywhere. And then the HDD is too small (my 80 GB drive is almost full already).
ultraphenomena

Post by ultraphenomena »

I'm waiting. Since Apple decided to go with Intel chips (FINALLY!) I'm waiting for them to go with a Windows Operating system too. Then I'll buy a Mac.