Artemiy
Site Admin

ROTFLOL on Intel Macs

Post by Artemiy »

For all the Mac freaks... ;-)

anti_pulse

Re: ROTFLOL on Intel Macs

Post by anti_pulse »

I'm getting a macbook pro on friday!!! I can't wait! So is roland going to put out universal drivers for the v or does it run fine in rosetta? That picture is great- right now I'm working on getting osx running smooth on my pc- I just need to get my wireless card going. Gonna try ndis wrappers.

http://www.myspace.com/11505663
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

pulse:

The great thing is that Roland already released universal drivers for PCR-M, Fantom-X, V-Synth and V-Synth XT. Today I installed the XT's driver on my Intel iMac and it works perfectly.
anti_pulse

Post by anti_pulse »

awesome! I'm going to go download them now! I hope they do the pcr-30 series. They are pretty much identical- I wonder if the drivers would work, or if the firmware would reject them.

http://www.myspace.com/11505663
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

AFAIK, the PCR-M series use a different MIDI subsystem dubbed FPT (Fast *something* Transfer as I remember). This allows for lower latency than compared to USB-class MIDI.
The Box Drone

Post by The Box Drone »

Ha ha! No shit...

I was always lead to believe the reason macs were so much more stable was because they weren't running windows!

Pearls of wisdom, no mistake, but I bought a Fantom-Xa anyways ;)
Ameish

Post by Ameish »

Ha-a-a-a !
Most of ALL I've enjoyed that forever the best: "Blue Screen of Death" is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corp.
x:)

Emptyness of endless being
blanc

Looking to buy iMAC 20inch Intel Duo Core.

Post by blanc »

Hi Art. I was just wondering how the iMAC is handling Audio. I want to use Logic Pro 7 but don't quite have the money for a G5 tower and then al the periferals.

Thanks man.

Brett
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

It handles a pretty good load of stuff without a hiccup. I was able to run about 6 instances of the Blue synth which is considered to be very, very hungry on the CPU. Sound file loading is virtually instant, you get like 50 MB/sec easily (the HDD is 300 MB/sec SATA, memory is 667 MHz). Real user tests show that a 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo iMac is about 80% of the power of a dual-core 2.3 GHz G5.
blanc

Post by blanc »

Thats great news.

The only downside of the iMAC is that you won't be able to install a PCI card if ever you had. Unless i am wrong?

Do you have any idea how one would connect to a monitor for video playback.

Thanks

Brett
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

No, you can't install anything in the iMac except for memory (very easy, but you should max it out to 2 gigs from the start) and maybe also a hard drive if you unscrew it totally (would not recommend). Audio interfaces and such can be added if you use USB 2.0 or FireWire ports.

As about a display, there is a DVI port and you can get a DVI-to-VGA adaptor to connect to any other monitor. I am not sure but I think the Radeon X1600 can drive the 30" Apple's cinema display (at least MacBook Pros with X1600 were announced to be able to do so).
blanc

Post by blanc »

Thanks Art.

Great Help again
insomnia

Post by insomnia »

hahaha quite the funny image