Sound editor for OS X: which one do you use?

Forum for Apple Mac computers
Artemiy
Site Admin

Sound editor for OS X: which one do you use?

Post by Artemiy »

Hey all!

I have faced a dilemma on choosing a sound editor for Mac OS X. Here are the ones I reviewed:

DSP Quattro (~$150) - fantastic value for money, but horrible interface and no support for mouse scroll at all (gasp!)

Bias Peak (~$500) - industry-standard, but IMHO overpriced and the interface is horribly old.

Freeverse Sound Studio (~$80): a very nice and simple editor, clean interface and full Mighty mouse 2D scroll support, but a little short on features and the waveform display is blurry.

Audiofile Engineering Wave Editor (~$250): a very, very nice and clean interface, rich features, moderate price, though not that good Mighty mouse support.

I am thinking more towards Wave Editor, I need something more robust and pro-featured than Sound Editor yet with clean and simple interface. What would *you* suggest?

Thanks!

Artemiy.
illiac

Re: Sound editor for OS X: which one do you use?

Post by illiac »

It's a little disappointing that Apple's Soundtrack Pro seems to only come bundled with Final Cut Studio, and that package is very expensive ...

-illiac
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Yes, I know about this...
theologiae

Post by theologiae »

i use audacity. it's free. it isn't the dream editor, but it does all the basic stuff. i use it for choping up longer samples into usable bits that i send to cubase or reaktor and now ableton live, so i don't really need fx or too many bells and such.

circle 6
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Yes, I used to use Audacity on Linux, but first is that there is no Universal Binary or Intel build (I have an Intel Mac) and second is that Audacity lacks many features of a professional editor and it is not that convenient to use. Quite a great free software anyway!
udo

Post by udo »

I love Peak. I use the LE (cheaper) version and i miss nothing.
qfingers

Post by qfingers »

If your interested in sound editors for linux, you should try rezound. It's a fantastic sound editor for linux. Plus if you want command line based (scriptable) sound editing, sox is another nice one.

q
kongwee

Post by kongwee »

You can try Ardour(www.ardour.org). It is FREE. It is unverisal binary Need Jack and X11. No midi support can turn you off easily.