DAW(Protools,Cubase....etc) processing requirement for 16 tr

Forum for Apple Mac computers
kongwee

DAW(Protools,Cubase....etc) processing requirement for 16 tr

Post by kongwee »

I wonder what CPU you need to have in order process 16 track song without any plugin in DAW. I mean play 16 track without any drop in quality in realtime.

I have a dual PowerMAC G4 876 mhz with 1 giga memory, dunno whether it can handle such a load in any DAW software.

Sorry I am new to DAW.
Dawada

Re: DAW(Protools,Cubase....etc) processing requirement for 1

Post by Dawada »

Not to be a smart ass, but that is a question that did not need to be asked.

You have a DUAL G4 876, POWERpc, I don't think 16 tracks is even a test for it. Cubase no Problem, PT might give a little resistance, due to its nature. I have a G5 and PT gave me problems, but now I'm all coppastetic.
jcthemc

Post by jcthemc »

the primary issue with daw software is harddrive speed

5200 RPM is not good for more than 6 tracks simul recording

7200 RPM with a large cache can handle 12 or more tracks

10000 RPM will sail through as many tracks as you could realistically need.. after that you need raid arrays

JC THE MC...
Fantom X6 2.10,V-Synth 2.0,B4 Real 7.0 B3 Emulator,Traction 2.0,Sound Forge 8,Acid 4.0,Mackie Onyx /w firwire option, Kliptch Pro media monitors, sennheiser hd 280 pro headphones
kongwee

Post by kongwee »

I don't think I made it very clear. The tracks will be sample sound rather than midi.I got Garageband version 1. When it start to have 4 or 5 track(sample sound), it start to give warning. I give up on garageband.

On the other hand, I got Ardour(DAW) and Jack(soft interconnect?) recently. Jack able me to keep track of the CPU usage. Normally. stereo track will eat up 7or 8% with .I never go deep into it. 16 track maybe too much for my PowerMac, that why I ask these question.
riddimski

Post by riddimski »

Im not an expert in this but I heard Ableton Live is very good in terms of audio sequencing.
Its loop based and seems very intuitive.
And its said much secure in terms of CPU troubles to eat up less CPU usage and things.
I just heard these things so just check it out yourself.

Big up!
So mi go so den...

riddimski

Fantom-X6 Audio Track Expansion with SRX-08, -09, and -98