Wicked good question about Protools for PC and MAC

Forum for Apple Mac computers
triskelion

Wicked good question about Protools for PC and MAC

Post by triskelion »

So it's a done deal.. I'll soon have a PC and a PC version of Protools..

But if do get a Mac ever,
will i be able to use my PC version of Protools on it somehow? any ideas? What if that Mac has one of the Intel chips?... that lets you run Windows?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Wicked good question about Protools for PC and MAC

Post by Artemiy »

Windows apps won't run in Mac OS X, but if you install Windows on an Intel Mac, then any Windows software will work there just like on a PC. BTW, considering the cost of ProTools, why not get a Mac right away? ;-)
kongwee

Post by kongwee »

Apple have developed Boot Camp to let you boot Windows XP on Mactel. If you ever move to Mac for protools, I think you can download the Mac version using your protools hardware key.
triskelion

Post by triskelion »

you're such a pressure salesman artemio,

well, because i need to wait too long to have any
computer at all... if i was to invest in a mac, it would
be an expensive, yet upgradable one
i work in an audio video repair shop, and can get a
hand me down pc for little or no cost to me.
so its true? an intel mac could let you run a PC
version of Protools?
kongwee

Post by kongwee »

Probably, you will run Mac version of protools if you ever got a Intel Mac.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

"you're such a pressure salesman artemio, "

Agh, sorry, I am just way too excited about how Macs changed my work.

"so its true? an intel mac could let you run a PC version of Protools?"

Yes, if you install Windows on this Mac.
kongwee

Post by kongwee »

Mac newbie alway like to influence other to join their gang.
filosofem

Post by filosofem »

I'd like to know whats the difference between a Mac version of Pro Tools and a Windows version? :p

filosofem
kongwee

Post by kongwee »

I have no experience on protools. Base on both platform with the same program(excluding MS products or exclusive features), You only face difficulty on the OS enviroment rather than the programme elements. What you use in Windows, the Mac will have the same elements. Nothing is add or subtrack from both platform. However, one powerful stuff in OS X than Windows is using AppleScript . Apple have very well documention on this script. I never touch this before. It will help you to reduce a lot of step that you use regulerly. True Mac power user normally use this feature extensively. Sometime Mac user say they can do a lot of faster than Windows cos of this.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

kongwee:

"Mac newbie alway like to influence other to join their gang."

Yes and no. I come from Linux, a quite powerful Unix system, and Mac also is a great Unix (all my software work here without a line modified). On top of a great Unix, Macs has a fantastic GUI concept that spans most apps, and this has already shown a notable raise in my productivity. So I know what I am talking about ;-)

Also, triskelion has already asked a PC vs. Mac hardware question many times, and he seemed to be close to getting a Mac, but indeed for many people who can get a low-cost but powerful PC it's always hard to go the Mac route. Even I hesitated for 5 years ;-)
filosofem

Post by filosofem »

Mac vs PC will always be a endless debate, but somethings to consider, if purchasing Pro Tools, is compatibility, Digidesign are very specific on what works and what doesn't. I run Pro Tools LE on PC at home and one advantage Mac has over PC is Third Party Plug-Ins, there's just more support for Mac. A prime example is Cherry Picker, Mac only! PC has no such thing on a Windoze platform.

But it is going to make for some interesting observations, with this hypid Mac-tel, whether one can use PC only third party apps' and so on, for example.

filosofem
kongwee

Post by kongwee »

Artemio:

"but indeed for many people who can get a low-cost but powerful PC it's always hard to go the Mac route."

PC is not readly low cost at the end of the road. But Mac does turn geek into noob. After 4 year with my Mac, I only upgrade harddisk and a little 256MB lamp. It is very tough. Maybe I lost the skill in assembling a PC. Maybe a lot of people don't switch to PC cos they wanna to retain geek status. What am I'm taking about.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Well, PowerMacs are quite expandable, aren't they? If you're talking about iMacs, they are like laptops inside, and laptops are generally not that expandable. I got my iMac maxed out with 2 GB RAM and also a 250 GB drive so I think I should be fine with it during next 2-3 years.
fantomee

Post by fantomee »

hi guys, i am currently using protools mpowered. The package comes with windows and mac installation cds. that means you can install either on a pc or mac and use the same ilok for authorization.

hope that helps.

cheers!