Fantom X8 + Logic Express, cannot bounce mp3, can experts he

Forum for Apple Mac computers
ec_lkhaa

Fantom X8 + Logic Express, cannot bounce mp3, can experts he

Post by ec_lkhaa »

As title, I connect the 2 with a quatafire audio interface. I could record the midi sequence using Logic and output the midi signals to Fantom as well.

However, when I try to bounce the file output, the mp3 becomes a soundless one. It does have 1mb for 20 seconds so there must be data inside, just no sound.

What is the proper way to get the sound from Roland and output to mp3/wav/aiff so that I can burn a CD?

I have tried the "USB Storage" function but it keeps saying "connecting" but there's no icon on the desktop. Is there a problem with any part of the studio? Or there's some settings problem on the Logic?

Expert please help!!!!
nsheldon

Re: Fantom X8 + Logic Express, cannot bounce mp3, can expert

Post by nsheldon »

Hello ec_lkhaa.

Welcome to the Roland Clan.

Remember that MIDI tracks are not audio tracks. There is no audio in a MIDI track. MIDI tracks simply send control data to something that makes sound (such as your Roland synth). In order to "bounce" an audio track to disk, you have to first have an audio track (not a MIDI track). You'll need to connect the audio output from your synth to the audio input on your audio interface. Within Logic Express, you'll need to either create a new audio track or use an existing one (if you have any in your current project) and select that audio input as the record source. Then record the audio from your synth into that audio track. Once that's done, then you can bounce to disk. Alternatively, you can use the audio tracks feature in the Fantom-X and record Logic playing back the music in the Fantom. Once the audio track is recorded, use the USB Storage mode and copy the audio file from the Fantom to your Mac.

If the USB Storage mode is always saying "Connecting," the Fantom may not be connected to your Mac properly. Be sure you're using Mac OS X 10.2.7 or later. Also try connecting the USB cable from the Fantom directly to the Mac, not using a hub. A "FANX USER" (or "FANX CARD") icon should appear on your desktop once in USB Storage mode.

Also, don't forget to read the FAQs at the Fantomized site. The Fantom-X Owner's Manual, though not perfect, is a good reference as well.

Regards,

Nathan Sheldon
http://www.nathansheldon.com/
ec_lkhaa

Post by ec_lkhaa »

Nathan,

Thanks alot thats very very clear. I have never thought that I could find a nicer tutor like you!

So I think the problem I am facing would be the cable connection. I would try practising again tonight. If I got more question, I may need to bother you again.

Nice site and much love for what you have done.

Will Lee
nsheldon

Post by nsheldon »

Hi Will.

Hope that helps.

Yes, Artemio has done a good job with this site.

Good luck on the audio recording.

Regards,

Nathan Sheldon
ec_lkhaa

Post by ec_lkhaa »

finally was able to record it last night. I spent another 3 hours on the software and found that I set the input wrong. I have never been a hardware guy so... its embarrassing.

any tips to have better recording? Should I record different instruments in different audio tracks, then bounce it together? Or should I just record all instruments in the same audio track? Does this make any difference?

I misused the keyboard for 6 months using Reason and was using reason plugins. I found that Roland has the best sounds in the world and it makes much more sense to edit using its sound. Or else i could just use a stupid synthesizer. Now I compare the track i recorded last night with what I done 6 months ago, bass part was an obvious difference. Its much more solid, and matches more with the drums. Its high IQ also makes the beat matches better, while in Reason you would hear a slight off beat.

I saw the celebrity producers' studios, they have different MPCs, old school keyboards, track mixers... I doubt that if i need that at my small room studio though. I think Roland + Logic already fulfill the needs for making hiphop beats and dance music. I could make pretty decent orchestral pieces too, am i correct?

I was so happy yesterday finally able to record and now its time for some real thing.
nsheldon

Post by nsheldon »

Hi again Will.

Glad to hear you were able to record some audio in Logic Express from the Fantom.

I'd suggest recording each Patch from the Fantom-X into Logic Express separately so you can re-mix the final product later on without having to re-record the track from the Fantom. Once you get all the audio tracks recorded, then you can bounce the mix to a file.

Yes, you should be able to do lots of good hip-hop and even orchestral work with the Fantom-X and Logic Express. I'm not a hip-hop composer myself, so I couldn't help you there, but there are a lot of hip-hop musicians on this forum that may be able to help.

Regarding the common use of Akai MPCs by a lot of hip-hop and dance artists, though I'm sure the MPCs are excellent units, I tend to think that half the reason people use them is because that's what everyone else uses (or so they think). This isn't necessarily the best reason to use an instrument, especially if you want to be unique. You should be able to make great hip-hop tracks without an MPC. Just because everyone is using one doesn't mean it's the best option out there.

Regards,

Nathan Sheldon
ec_lkhaa

Post by ec_lkhaa »

thanks nathan!