Reading a windows cdr on a mac

Forum for Apple Mac computers
pianodick

Reading a windows cdr on a mac

Post by pianodick »

Has anyone any ideas why a disk that was burned on a windows based computer cannot be read by a mac g5? The cd contains mp3 files. I have other cdrs that went from a pc to a mac no problem but this cdr will not pop up on my mac. Anyone?

"I believe I have correctly calculated string theory in comparison to Einstein's, inadvertantly and I am afraid!"
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Reading a windows cdr on a mac

Post by Artemiy »

PD, OS X has native support for CD-ROM filesystem extension used by Windows (called Joilet) in addition to UNIX native (called Rock Ridge), so it should read it, unless it was burned in some other way.

Try the Disk Utility application - does the CD show up there, even non-mounted? If so, you can create an image out of it (with the New Image icon), and then double-click that image to mount it and see the contents. If not, there is one other way to do it low-level in Terminal, I'll tell you later if what I suggested doesn't work.
pianodick

Post by pianodick »

It fails after starting to create the image. Error message about terminated unexpectedly.

"I believe I have correctly calculated string theory in comparison to Einstein's, inadvertantly and I am afraid!"
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

The CD is probably corrupt. Does copying the whole contents work on your PC?
pianodick

Post by pianodick »

The disk works fine in my pc. all the files are readable and usable. The cd was burned with my OLD HP cd burner. It was famous for being incompatible with almost any other drive. This is the first one that I have encountered this problem with however. Thanks for your help btw.

Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

No problems PD, you can always count on me.

Oh BTW, which Mac do you have, iMac or PowerMac? And does it run Tiger?
pianodick

Post by pianodick »

I have the power mac g5 dual 2.0. I am running os x Tiger. I also want to mention that I tried again and the error is input/output error in case that changes anything.

pianodick

Post by pianodick »

So none of the mac users in here have any suggestions? I am sure the cd is not corrupt. It works on the pc without any problems. Come on give a hand here.

Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

PD:

You can just transfer those files over a local network or burn another CD. If making a CD image doesn't work, which is the most low-level thing you can do, then your Mac's drive doesn't like the CD. I had a similar issue a while ago, just burned another CD and all was fine. Same could happen in a vice-versa situation.
da-man

Post by da-man »

As a computer coordinator at a school with over 100 machines some mac and some PC I have found that CD's will work on some machines and not others. Same with audio CD's and stereos.

Don't ask me why cause I don't have a clue.

I'd burn another CD and make sure it is finalised and if that doesn't work then I would get a different CD-R brand and if that doesn't work then I would use another burner and if that doesn't work then try a USB thumbdrive or harddrive.
pianodick

Post by pianodick »

Thanks both for your help. When you are right you are right.